Re: [sig] Clothing question

  • Alexey Kiyaikin
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 7, 2003
      Greetings!

      > Does anyone know what would be an appropriate traditional mens wedding outfit
      > for a Ukrainian man? It does not really need to be within the SCA time frame,
      > I'm more looking for what would now be considered traditional.

      Just the same. You may consult, e.g., any picture of ***'s classical
      Ukrainian opera "Zaporozhie dweller beyond Danube" (Zaporozhets za
      Dunaem". All the modern dancing elaborations in the field of Gopak are 99 %
      based on the episode of the dancing Cossacks from that opera.

      So, silk trousers "wide as Black sea" (you may copy any Turcic pattern,
      e.g. at www.geocities.com/kaganate/ ), a wide scarf/belt around the
      waist, several meters long, a palm wide, also silk, with loose ends
      that hang down almost to the ground; boots with low
      heels, shorter than modern Russian army pattern (about half way to
      the knee), a linen or cotton shirt that is stuck into the trousers,
      with the front stiff from the wide rectangular brocaded area (I'd call it a
      plate). The shirt has a short front slit, and a pair of laces at the
      front hold the slit shut. The sleeves of the shirt have no tapering
      towards the wrist, they simply end at the very wrists.

      In winter there is a Svita over all that, or a mutton coat.

      Hope that helps,

      bye,
      Alex.
    • eclipsek
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 7, 2003
        Hi,
        I stopped into the store today - I initially gave you the other store I
        frequent for egg supplies... the one that had the clothing is Vegreville
        Floral Boutique Ltd., (780)632-2656, 1-800-991-9985, 4918 -50Ave, Box
        748 Vegreville, AB, Canada, T9C 1R8. They don't have any patterns at the
        moment (they tend to bring that sort of thing in infrequently) but the
        shopkeeper gave me the names of the suppliers they use for that sort of
        thing - they import a lot of it from the US. What you might need to do
        is find out from them which retail stores carry the patterns.
        Surma - (212)-477-0729 - in New York
        Lee Mar - 973-256-5474 - in New Jersey
        Ukrainian Gift Shop - Minneapolis (They will mail order to individuals)
        Hope you find something.
        Good Luck.
        -Kataryna

        VictoriaPringle@... wrote:

        > Ooops sorry, the area is an important detail :) Ok, more details now
        > that I
        > don't have my father reading over my shoulder. My father is getting
        > married
        > and would like to wear something "traditional" to represent his
        > heritage. His
        > family is from Kiev. His bride will be wearing the traditional dress
        > for her
        > region of Sweden. I have not seen her dress (it's still in Sweden with
        > the
        > rest of her stuff) but from what I can tell it is what could be
        > considered
        > traditional folk dress. Basically my dad will be happy with whatever I
        > make
        > :)
        >
        > Kataryna, what is the name of the shop?
        >
        > Thanks for the help,
        > Trishka
        >
        > > depends on which area of the Ukraine.
        > > hmmmm.... I'll see if there is anything on any websites I know. It
        > would
        > > sort of be hard to say yes - there are a huge number of patterns
        > > available at the Ukrainian gift shop in my town of Vegreville, Alta,
        > > Canada.
        > > It's a largely Ukrainian settled area.
        > > .....maybe I can send you the phone# or address of the shop? or maybe
        > > just Googgle Vegreville Canada - it should come up with one of the gift
        > > shops (they are also flower shops, and sell all the egg decorating
        > stuff
        > > &traditional stuff you can imagine.
        > > -Kataryna

        > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
        > HGTV Dream Home Giveaway
        > <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=241773.2725424.4169802.1925585/D=egroupweb/S=1705767503:HM/A=1394046/R=0/*http://www.hgtv.com/hgtv/pac_ctnt/text/0,,HGTV_3936_5802,FF.html>

        > <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/>.

      • deonisei syn Ralo
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 10, 2003
          Mordaks garb packet does work, my bad. Sorry.
          ---
          If Dr. Suess wrote LOTR: 'Gandalf, Gandalf! Take the ring! I am too small to carry this thing!' 'I can not, will not hold the One. You have a slim chance, but I have none. I will not take it on a boat, I will not take it across a moat. I cannot take it under Moria, that's one thing I can't do for ya. I would not bring it into Mordor, I would not make it to the border.'"