Re: [sig] greetings and a request for info

  • Jeepinmaine@aol.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 6, 2003
      Just a thought what about a caftan style coat its what Im working on for my
      cossack persona it might be worth looking into since it provides good
      coverage and a very comfortable fit

      my two cents
      John

    • Alexey Kiyaikin
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 7, 2003
        Greetings!
        > My name is Robin Maclaren, i am looking for information on
        > Russian style fencing attire for a friend who would like to stay in
        > period for his region if not his time.
        > He is a 14th cent Russian merchant.

        There were TWO Russian states, great principalities of Lietuva &
        Moscow, two fashions & two lifestyles.
        I'd suggest something like a Tegelai, aka Hatangu Degel, aka
        gambesone cut in the front. It's a quilted Kaftan, you can put anything
        into each section for stiffness - a metal ring, a plate, even a piece
        of chainmail. If you can - quilt it not on cotton base, but rather on
        linen fiber or jute. Cotton is too soft. The coat is fastened with
        pairs of laces or button-loop pairs sewn onto the front, no or small
        interlacing. Elbow-long sleeves are OK. There's some more details but
        I'm not in the condition to remember all. Hope that's enough to create
        something in the style.

        bye,
        Alex.