Re: [sig] Clothing question

  • eclipsek
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 6, 2003
      depends on which area of the Ukraine.
      hmmmm.... I'll see if there is anything on any websites I know. It would
      sort of be hard to say yes - there are a huge number of patterns
      available at the Ukrainian gift shop in my town of Vegreville, Alta, Canada.
      It's a largely Ukrainian settled area.
      .....maybe I can send you the phone# or address of the shop? or maybe
      just Googgle Vegreville Canada - it should come up with one of the gift
      shops (they are also flower shops, and sell all the egg decorating stuff
      & traditional stuff you can imagine.
      -Kataryna

    • VictoriaPringle@aol.com
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 6, 2003
        Ooops sorry, the area is an important detail :) Ok, more details now that I
        don't have my father reading over my shoulder. My father is getting married
        and would like to wear something "traditional" to represent his heritage. His
        family is from Kiev. His bride will be wearing the traditional dress for her
        region of Sweden. I have not seen her dress (it's still in Sweden with the
        rest of her stuff) but from what I can tell it is what could be considered
        traditional folk dress. Basically my dad will be happy with whatever I make
        :)

        Kataryna, what is the name of the shop?

        Thanks for the help,
        Trishka

      • eclipsek@telusplanet.net
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 7, 2003
          It's called Ukrainian Everythings
          4932 50Av Vegreville
          Canada
          (I don't have the postal code at the moment - sorry)
          ph (780)632-6880

          They used to have patterns to a bunch of tradtional Ukrainian clothing (mostly
          for the dancers) but I'm not quite sure if they still do. The last time I was
          in there I was looking for egg supplies.

          I'm sure if you get one of the ladies there they could tell you where else in
          Vegreville or maybe in Edmonton (the city nearest us) might carry the patterns.
          Don't try the fabric store - they have some good pre-embroidered trim, but
          that's about it.

          I'll pop into the gift store today and see if they still have the patterns - it
          might save you a long distance call.

          -Kataryna

          Quoting VictoriaPringle@...:

          > Ooops sorry, the area is an important detail :) Ok, more details now that I
          >
          > don't have my father reading over my shoulder. My father is getting married
          >
          > and would like to wear something "traditional" to represent his heritage. His
          >

          > family is from Kiev. His bride will be wearing the traditional dress for her
          >

          > region of Sweden. I have not seen her dress (it's still in Sweden with the
          >
          > rest of her stuff) but from what I can tell it is what could be considered
          >
          > traditional folk dress. Basically my dad will be happy with whatever I make
          >
          > :)
          >

          > Kataryna, what is the name of the shop?
          >

          > Thanks for the help,
          >
          > Trishka
          >

          > > depends on which area of the Ukraine.
          >
          > > hmmmm.... I'll see if there is anything on any websites I know. It would
          >
          > > sort of be hard to say yes - there are a huge number of patterns
          >
          > > available at the Ukrainian gift shop in my town of Vegreville, Alta,
          >
          > > Canada.
          >
          > > It's a largely Ukrainian settled area.
          >
          > > .....maybe I can send you the phone# or address of the shop? or maybe
          >
          > > just Googgle Vegreville Canada - it should come up with one of the gift
          >
          > > shops (they are also flower shops, and sell all the egg decorating stuff
          >
          > > &traditional stuff you can imagine.
          >
          > > -Kataryna

          > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        • Alexey Kiyaikin
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 7, 2003
            Greetings!

            > Does anyone know what would be an appropriate traditional mens wedding outfit
            > for a Ukrainian man? It does not really need to be within the SCA time frame,
            > I'm more looking for what would now be considered traditional.

            Just the same. You may consult, e.g., any picture of ***'s classical
            Ukrainian opera "Zaporozhie dweller beyond Danube" (Zaporozhets za
            Dunaem". All the modern dancing elaborations in the field of Gopak are 99 %
            based on the episode of the dancing Cossacks from that opera.

            So, silk trousers "wide as Black sea" (you may copy any Turcic pattern,
            e.g. at www.geocities.com/kaganate/ ), a wide scarf/belt around the
            waist, several meters long, a palm wide, also silk, with loose ends
            that hang down almost to the ground; boots with low
            heels, shorter than modern Russian army pattern (about half way to
            the knee), a linen or cotton shirt that is stuck into the trousers,
            with the front stiff from the wide rectangular brocaded area (I'd call it a
            plate). The shirt has a short front slit, and a pair of laces at the
            front hold the slit shut. The sleeves of the shirt have no tapering
            towards the wrist, they simply end at the very wrists.

            In winter there is a Svita over all that, or a mutton coat.

            Hope that helps,

            bye,
            Alex.
          • eclipsek
            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 7, 2003
              Hi,
              I stopped into the store today - I initially gave you the other store I
              frequent for egg supplies... the one that had the clothing is Vegreville
              Floral Boutique Ltd., (780)632-2656, 1-800-991-9985, 4918 -50Ave, Box
              748 Vegreville, AB, Canada, T9C 1R8. They don't have any patterns at the
              moment (they tend to bring that sort of thing in infrequently) but the
              shopkeeper gave me the names of the suppliers they use for that sort of
              thing - they import a lot of it from the US. What you might need to do
              is find out from them which retail stores carry the patterns.
              Surma - (212)-477-0729 - in New York
              Lee Mar - 973-256-5474 - in New Jersey
              Ukrainian Gift Shop - Minneapolis (They will mail order to individuals)
              Hope you find something.
              Good Luck.
              -Kataryna

              VictoriaPringle@... wrote:

              > Ooops sorry, the area is an important detail :) Ok, more details now
              > that I
              > don't have my father reading over my shoulder. My father is getting
              > married
              > and would like to wear something "traditional" to represent his
              > heritage. His
              > family is from Kiev. His bride will be wearing the traditional dress
              > for her
              > region of Sweden. I have not seen her dress (it's still in Sweden with
              > the
              > rest of her stuff) but from what I can tell it is what could be
              > considered
              > traditional folk dress. Basically my dad will be happy with whatever I
              > make
              > :)
              >
              > Kataryna, what is the name of the shop?
              >
              > Thanks for the help,
              > Trishka
              >
              > > depends on which area of the Ukraine.
              > > hmmmm.... I'll see if there is anything on any websites I know. It
              > would
              > > sort of be hard to say yes - there are a huge number of patterns
              > > available at the Ukrainian gift shop in my town of Vegreville, Alta,
              > > Canada.
              > > It's a largely Ukrainian settled area.
              > > .....maybe I can send you the phone# or address of the shop? or maybe
              > > just Googgle Vegreville Canada - it should come up with one of the gift
              > > shops (they are also flower shops, and sell all the egg decorating
              > stuff
              > > &traditional stuff you can imagine.
              > > -Kataryna

              > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
              > HGTV Dream Home Giveaway
              > <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=241773.2725424.4169802.1925585/D=egroupweb/S=1705767503:HM/A=1394046/R=0/*http://www.hgtv.com/hgtv/pac_ctnt/text/0,,HGTV_3936_5802,FF.html>

              > <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/>.

            • deonisei syn Ralo
              Message 6 of 7 , Jan 10, 2003
                Mordaks garb packet does work, my bad. Sorry.
                ---
                If Dr. Suess wrote LOTR: 'Gandalf, Gandalf! Take the ring! I am too small to carry this thing!' 'I can not, will not hold the One. You have a slim chance, but I have none. I will not take it on a boat, I will not take it across a moat. I cannot take it under Moria, that's one thing I can't do for ya. I would not bring it into Mordor, I would not make it to the border.'"