greetings and a request for info

  • RMaclaren@juno.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 6, 2003
      Greetings All,
      My name is Robin Maclaren, i am looking for information on
      Russian style fencing attire for a friend who would like to stay in
      period for his region if not his time.
      He is a 14th cent Russian merchant.
      Any and all help would be most grateful.

      Thank you for your time.

      Robin
    • Jeepinmaine@aol.com
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 6, 2003
        Just a thought what about a caftan style coat its what Im working on for my
        cossack persona it might be worth looking into since it provides good
        coverage and a very comfortable fit

        my two cents
        John

      • Alexey Kiyaikin
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 7, 2003
          Greetings!
          > My name is Robin Maclaren, i am looking for information on
          > Russian style fencing attire for a friend who would like to stay in
          > period for his region if not his time.
          > He is a 14th cent Russian merchant.

          There were TWO Russian states, great principalities of Lietuva &
          Moscow, two fashions & two lifestyles.
          I'd suggest something like a Tegelai, aka Hatangu Degel, aka
          gambesone cut in the front. It's a quilted Kaftan, you can put anything
          into each section for stiffness - a metal ring, a plate, even a piece
          of chainmail. If you can - quilt it not on cotton base, but rather on
          linen fiber or jute. Cotton is too soft. The coat is fastened with
          pairs of laces or button-loop pairs sewn onto the front, no or small
          interlacing. Elbow-long sleeves are OK. There's some more details but
          I'm not in the condition to remember all. Hope that's enough to create
          something in the style.

          bye,
          Alex.