Clothing question

  • VictoriaPringle@aol.com
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 4, 2003
      Does anyone know what would be an appropriate traditional mens wedding outfit
      for a Ukrainian man? It does not really need to be within the SCA time frame,
      I'm more looking for what would now be considered traditional.

      Thank you for the help,
      Trishka

    • eclipsek
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 6, 2003
        depends on which area of the Ukraine.
        hmmmm.... I'll see if there is anything on any websites I know. It would
        sort of be hard to say yes - there are a huge number of patterns
        available at the Ukrainian gift shop in my town of Vegreville, Alta, Canada.
        It's a largely Ukrainian settled area.
        .....maybe I can send you the phone# or address of the shop? or maybe
        just Googgle Vegreville Canada - it should come up with one of the gift
        shops (they are also flower shops, and sell all the egg decorating stuff
        & traditional stuff you can imagine.
        -Kataryna

      • VictoriaPringle@aol.com
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 6, 2003
          Ooops sorry, the area is an important detail :) Ok, more details now that I
          don't have my father reading over my shoulder. My father is getting married
          and would like to wear something "traditional" to represent his heritage. His
          family is from Kiev. His bride will be wearing the traditional dress for her
          region of Sweden. I have not seen her dress (it's still in Sweden with the
          rest of her stuff) but from what I can tell it is what could be considered
          traditional folk dress. Basically my dad will be happy with whatever I make
          :)

          Kataryna, what is the name of the shop?

          Thanks for the help,
          Trishka

        • eclipsek@telusplanet.net
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 7, 2003
            It's called Ukrainian Everythings
            4932 50Av Vegreville
            Canada
            (I don't have the postal code at the moment - sorry)
            ph (780)632-6880

            They used to have patterns to a bunch of tradtional Ukrainian clothing (mostly
            for the dancers) but I'm not quite sure if they still do. The last time I was
            in there I was looking for egg supplies.

            I'm sure if you get one of the ladies there they could tell you where else in
            Vegreville or maybe in Edmonton (the city nearest us) might carry the patterns.
            Don't try the fabric store - they have some good pre-embroidered trim, but
            that's about it.

            I'll pop into the gift store today and see if they still have the patterns - it
            might save you a long distance call.

            -Kataryna

            Quoting VictoriaPringle@...:

            > Ooops sorry, the area is an important detail :) Ok, more details now that I
            >
            > don't have my father reading over my shoulder. My father is getting married
            >
            > and would like to wear something "traditional" to represent his heritage. His
            >

            > family is from Kiev. His bride will be wearing the traditional dress for her
            >

            > region of Sweden. I have not seen her dress (it's still in Sweden with the
            >
            > rest of her stuff) but from what I can tell it is what could be considered
            >
            > traditional folk dress. Basically my dad will be happy with whatever I make
            >
            > :)
            >

            > Kataryna, what is the name of the shop?
            >

            > Thanks for the help,
            >
            > Trishka
            >

            > > depends on which area of the Ukraine.
            >
            > > hmmmm.... I'll see if there is anything on any websites I know. It would
            >
            > > sort of be hard to say yes - there are a huge number of patterns
            >
            > > available at the Ukrainian gift shop in my town of Vegreville, Alta,
            >
            > > Canada.
            >
            > > It's a largely Ukrainian settled area.
            >
            > > .....maybe I can send you the phone# or address of the shop? or maybe
            >
            > > just Googgle Vegreville Canada - it should come up with one of the gift
            >
            > > shops (they are also flower shops, and sell all the egg decorating stuff
            >
            > > &traditional stuff you can imagine.
            >
            > > -Kataryna

            > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

          • Alexey Kiyaikin
            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 7, 2003
              Greetings!

              > Does anyone know what would be an appropriate traditional mens wedding outfit
              > for a Ukrainian man? It does not really need to be within the SCA time frame,
              > I'm more looking for what would now be considered traditional.

              Just the same. You may consult, e.g., any picture of ***'s classical
              Ukrainian opera "Zaporozhie dweller beyond Danube" (Zaporozhets za
              Dunaem". All the modern dancing elaborations in the field of Gopak are 99 %
              based on the episode of the dancing Cossacks from that opera.

              So, silk trousers "wide as Black sea" (you may copy any Turcic pattern,
              e.g. at www.geocities.com/kaganate/ ), a wide scarf/belt around the
              waist, several meters long, a palm wide, also silk, with loose ends
              that hang down almost to the ground; boots with low
              heels, shorter than modern Russian army pattern (about half way to
              the knee), a linen or cotton shirt that is stuck into the trousers,
              with the front stiff from the wide rectangular brocaded area (I'd call it a
              plate). The shirt has a short front slit, and a pair of laces at the
              front hold the slit shut. The sleeves of the shirt have no tapering
              towards the wrist, they simply end at the very wrists.

              In winter there is a Svita over all that, or a mutton coat.

              Hope that helps,

              bye,
              Alex.
            • eclipsek
              Message 6 of 7 , Jan 7, 2003
                Hi,
                I stopped into the store today - I initially gave you the other store I
                frequent for egg supplies... the one that had the clothing is Vegreville
                Floral Boutique Ltd., (780)632-2656, 1-800-991-9985, 4918 -50Ave, Box
                748 Vegreville, AB, Canada, T9C 1R8. They don't have any patterns at the
                moment (they tend to bring that sort of thing in infrequently) but the
                shopkeeper gave me the names of the suppliers they use for that sort of
                thing - they import a lot of it from the US. What you might need to do
                is find out from them which retail stores carry the patterns.
                Surma - (212)-477-0729 - in New York
                Lee Mar - 973-256-5474 - in New Jersey
                Ukrainian Gift Shop - Minneapolis (They will mail order to individuals)
                Hope you find something.
                Good Luck.
                -Kataryna

                VictoriaPringle@... wrote:

                > Ooops sorry, the area is an important detail :) Ok, more details now
                > that I
                > don't have my father reading over my shoulder. My father is getting
                > married
                > and would like to wear something "traditional" to represent his
                > heritage. His
                > family is from Kiev. His bride will be wearing the traditional dress
                > for her
                > region of Sweden. I have not seen her dress (it's still in Sweden with
                > the
                > rest of her stuff) but from what I can tell it is what could be
                > considered
                > traditional folk dress. Basically my dad will be happy with whatever I
                > make
                > :)
                >
                > Kataryna, what is the name of the shop?
                >
                > Thanks for the help,
                > Trishka
                >
                > > depends on which area of the Ukraine.
                > > hmmmm.... I'll see if there is anything on any websites I know. It
                > would
                > > sort of be hard to say yes - there are a huge number of patterns
                > > available at the Ukrainian gift shop in my town of Vegreville, Alta,
                > > Canada.
                > > It's a largely Ukrainian settled area.
                > > .....maybe I can send you the phone# or address of the shop? or maybe
                > > just Googgle Vegreville Canada - it should come up with one of the gift
                > > shops (they are also flower shops, and sell all the egg decorating
                > stuff
                > > &traditional stuff you can imagine.
                > > -Kataryna

                > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
                > HGTV Dream Home Giveaway
                > <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=241773.2725424.4169802.1925585/D=egroupweb/S=1705767503:HM/A=1394046/R=0/*http://www.hgtv.com/hgtv/pac_ctnt/text/0,,HGTV_3936_5802,FF.html>

                > <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/>.

              • deonisei syn Ralo
                Message 7 of 7 , Jan 10, 2003
                  Mordaks garb packet does work, my bad. Sorry.
                  ---
                  If Dr. Suess wrote LOTR: 'Gandalf, Gandalf! Take the ring! I am too small to carry this thing!' 'I can not, will not hold the One. You have a slim chance, but I have none. I will not take it on a boat, I will not take it across a moat. I cannot take it under Moria, that's one thing I can't do for ya. I would not bring it into Mordor, I would not make it to the border.'"