Re: [sig] Cyrillic question (OOP)

  • Tat'ianna
    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 3, 2003
      That is right, I just couldn't figure out how to spell it to pronounce it.

      Tat'ianna

      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 4, 2003
        Greetings!

        > It's Kiev in Russian [KEE-yehv], and Kiiv in Ukrainian [KEE-eev]. The way it
        > actually sounds when a Russian says it or a Ukrainian isn't very different to
        > a foreign ear.

        Or, to be precise, Ukrainian, unlike Russian, has TWO /i/ sounds and
        two letters to mark them. The
        "latin" letter marks the same sound as in Russian, that makes the
        preceding consonant soft. The "russian-style" letter, on the contrary,
        makes the sound that corresponds with the Russian sound /y/ (as in
        the Russian words "mysh'"-mouse, "syr"-cheese, etc), that does NOT
        make the preceding vowel soft. That makes the fact that the words with
        the "russian-style letter" (usually with the same spelling) look the
        same but sound differently. That difference has ever created lots of
        funny stories.

        bye,
        Alex.