RE: [sig] Need for Nomadic groups?

  • Jeanne Papanastasiou
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 3, 2003
      I wouldn't think people would choose a nomadic lifestyle unless it made
      economic sense, i.e. if they were herdsmen who always had to find new
      pastures for their flocks. It is possible that Gypsies evolved their
      talents as musicians, showmen & psychics out of necessity, a way to make
      a living as a landless people.

      One time while studying Klezmer music I read that Klezmer & Gypsy
      musicians used to travel & play gigs together, as both belonged to a
      socially despised group... sort of a form of protection.

      Laura/Leya

      This reminds me of what my great grandmother used to teach us. She was
      Hungarian Gypsy who came over when the Czar was still in power just before
      WWI. In her front yard there was a rotting Vardos.

      She told us we were blessed by God to steal to keep us alive, only.
      Before Christ was nailed to the cross a Gypsy stole one of the nails, that's
      why there is only one for his feet. Hence we saved him that much pain we
      were blessed by God.

      My mum FREAKED when we told her what Great Grammie told us, as we could
      understand Hungarian and she couldn't! *smile*
      Tudjane Soffya
      Magyar Ajándékok
      http://www.aeonline.biz/Magyar.htm
      Order of St. Roche
      Incipient Canton of Sudentur
      Barony of Stierbach
      Kingdom of Atlantia

    • Marilee Humason
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 5, 2003
        --- >

        > She told us we were blessed by God to steal to
        > keep us alive, only.
        > Before Christ was nailed to the cross a Gypsy stole
        > one of the nails, that's
        > why there is only one for his feet. Hence we saved
        > him that much pain we
        > were blessed by God.

        I have found in my research!
        Really cool to have it confirmed by a "real" gypsy,
        not just one from a book.
        thanks,
        Baroness Anastasia>

        http://mailplus.yahoo.com