RE: [sig] Need for Nomadic groups?

  • Jeanne Papanastasiou
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 3, 2003
      I wouldn't think people would choose a nomadic lifestyle unless it made
      economic sense, i.e. if they were herdsmen who always had to find new
      pastures for their flocks. It is possible that Gypsies evolved their
      talents as musicians, showmen & psychics out of necessity, a way to make
      a living as a landless people.

      One time while studying Klezmer music I read that Klezmer & Gypsy
      musicians used to travel & play gigs together, as both belonged to a
      socially despised group... sort of a form of protection.

      Laura/Leya

      This reminds me of what my great grandmother used to teach us. She was
      Hungarian Gypsy who came over when the Czar was still in power just before
      WWI. In her front yard there was a rotting Vardos.

      She told us we were blessed by God to steal to keep us alive, only.
      Before Christ was nailed to the cross a Gypsy stole one of the nails, that's
      why there is only one for his feet. Hence we saved him that much pain we
      were blessed by God.

      My mum FREAKED when we told her what Great Grammie told us, as we could
      understand Hungarian and she couldn't! *smile*
      Tudjane Soffya
      Magyar Ajándékok
      http://www.aeonline.biz/Magyar.htm
      Order of St. Roche
      Incipient Canton of Sudentur
      Barony of Stierbach
      Kingdom of Atlantia

    • Marilee Humason
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 4, 2003
        I have researched a great deal about gypsies.
        I believe that those who describe them as lazy, dirty
        and immoral are only basing this on the facade the
        gypsies themselves give off.
        They don't want people to understand them or their
        lifestyle, they feel it is wholly private and
        indiginous only to themselves. They are outcast
        because they want to be. They have a whole lifestyle,
        language, stories, culture all thier own and they have
        jelously hidden it away for centuries. Some people
        manage to worm their way in but they still only touch
        the surface, if you are not born gypsy you will never
        understand.
        I have done my best to read all references with an
        open mind and to seek knowledge from many different
        perspectives. When I met a family of gypsies in
        Slovakia last year, I was accepted because I wanted
        help in pronouncing a story in Rom. I got tons of help
        and they treated me like a queen thereafter. I showed
        nothing but gratitude and respect for what they were
        helping me with.Thats all they ask, respect for them,
        themselves.
        sorry, soapbox.
        Baroness Anastasia
        --- Alberta <jadedusoleil@...> wrote:
        > Do you think that the world in general needs the
        > perspective of nomadic groups like gypsies and
        > traveling Skomorokhi troupes...Or is the nomadic
        > lifestyle obsolete? Perhaps the more telling
        > question is this...Are nomadic groups a threat to
        > the more stationary groups?
        >
        > Gypsies have been described by some as lazy, dirty
        > and immoral...could it be that gypsies have
        > priorities and values so different from the norm
        > that gypsies and the population at large have little
        > common basis to communicate on?
        >
        > I look forward to your thoughts on the matter.
        >
        > ~Alberta

        > removed]

        http://mailplus.yahoo.com
      • Marilee Humason
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 5, 2003
          --- >

          > She told us we were blessed by God to steal to
          > keep us alive, only.
          > Before Christ was nailed to the cross a Gypsy stole
          > one of the nails, that's
          > why there is only one for his feet. Hence we saved
          > him that much pain we
          > were blessed by God.

          I have found in my research!
          Really cool to have it confirmed by a "real" gypsy,
          not just one from a book.
          thanks,
          Baroness Anastasia>

          http://mailplus.yahoo.com