Re: [sig] Digest Number 1071

  • Marilyn
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 4, 2003
      Just as a general reply to weather nomadic groups are a thing of the past or
      will become so.. Sociologically speaking i don't think so. We have a variety
      of them now. My step son used to hang cable for a living ..there is a
      totally nomadic lifestyle. Traveling magazine crews are also nomadic as is
      most of the military. There are many nomadic groups functioning well in our
      society today. Really I think there will always be a place for the nomads.
      1. Some people just like to move around. @ They still serve a function in
      society of carrying news from one area to another ( with a personal touch)
      as well as goods of various varieties. Even in our information age society
      some things are not spoken of and travel only by word of mouth. Did you
      know many of our Senoirs have become nomads for financial reasons. They
      travel from place to place in their RV's and avoid high rents and taxes
      while following the good weather. They even have stronghold of a modern
      sort. A city not on any map in the californian desert built on an abandoned
      military site. It is called Slab City and has been continuously inhabited
      for at least 40 yrs that i know of by an ever changing population..mostly
      seniors..but many just societal drop outs for one reason or another
      including some who are on the run. As long as they do not break the local
      rules they are tolerated in the city. I find it rather interesting that in
      the midst of our modern age in a technology oriented country we still
      support such a place. In my heart i feel there have always been such places
      because they fill a need... and always will.

      As an aside i have been totally out of touch lately and i am sorry but i am fighting a rather nasty illness. However i still read everything and will speak up when i feel moved to do so..

    • pan_landolf <pan_landolf@hotmail.com>
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 6, 2003
        Someone on the Chivalry list described himself as an "itinerenat code
        worker" (consultant programmer).

        Landolf