Need for Nomadic groups?

  • Alberta
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 3, 2003
      Do you think that the world in general needs the perspective of nomadic groups like gypsies and traveling Skomorokhi troupes...Or is the nomadic lifestyle obsolete? Perhaps the more telling question is this...Are nomadic groups a threat to the more stationary groups?

      Gypsies have been described by some as lazy, dirty and immoral...could it be that gypsies have priorities and values so different from the norm that gypsies and the population at large have little common basis to communicate on?

      I look forward to your thoughts on the matter.

      ~Alberta

    • Jeanne Papanastasiou
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 3, 2003
        I wouldn't think people would choose a nomadic lifestyle unless it made
        economic sense, i.e. if they were herdsmen who always had to find new
        pastures for their flocks. It is possible that Gypsies evolved their
        talents as musicians, showmen & psychics out of necessity, a way to make
        a living as a landless people.

        One time while studying Klezmer music I read that Klezmer & Gypsy
        musicians used to travel & play gigs together, as both belonged to a
        socially despised group... sort of a form of protection.

        Laura/Leya

        This reminds me of what my great grandmother used to teach us. She was
        Hungarian Gypsy who came over when the Czar was still in power just before
        WWI. In her front yard there was a rotting Vardos.

        She told us we were blessed by God to steal to keep us alive, only.
        Before Christ was nailed to the cross a Gypsy stole one of the nails, that's
        why there is only one for his feet. Hence we saved him that much pain we
        were blessed by God.

        My mum FREAKED when we told her what Great Grammie told us, as we could
        understand Hungarian and she couldn't! *smile*
        Tudjane Soffya
        Magyar Ajándékok
        http://www.aeonline.biz/Magyar.htm
        Order of St. Roche
        Incipient Canton of Sudentur
        Barony of Stierbach
        Kingdom of Atlantia

      • Shadow42
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 3, 2003
          Alberta wrote:

          >Gypsies have been described by some as lazy, dirty and immoral...could it be that gypsies have priorities and values so different from the norm that gypsies and the population at large have little common basis to communicate on?

          I"m not an authority on the matter, but I thought the Gypsies originated
          in India, where they may have been displaced by some conqueror & ended
          up wandering into Turkey & Central Europe. And I read somewhere that
          there was nothing romantic or glamorous about their nomadic lifestyle
          nor did it come from any desire to be nomads...it was just that they
          didn't fit into the medieval world of peasants & lords, and the local
          folks would always drive them out of whatever locale they happened to
          enter. Sort of like medieval Jews, actually.

          I wouldn't think people would choose a nomadic lifestyle unless it made
          economic sense, i.e. if they were herdsmen who always had to find new
          pastures for their flocks. It is possible that Gypsies evolved their
          talents as musicians, showmen & psychics out of necessity, a way to make
          a living as a landless people.

          One time while studying Klezmer music I read that Klezmer & Gypsy
          musicians used to travel & play gigs together, as both belonged to a
          socially despised group... sort of a form of protection.

          Laura/Leya
        • Marilee Humason
          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 4, 2003
            I have researched a great deal about gypsies.
            I believe that those who describe them as lazy, dirty
            and immoral are only basing this on the facade the
            gypsies themselves give off.
            They don't want people to understand them or their
            lifestyle, they feel it is wholly private and
            indiginous only to themselves. They are outcast
            because they want to be. They have a whole lifestyle,
            language, stories, culture all thier own and they have
            jelously hidden it away for centuries. Some people
            manage to worm their way in but they still only touch
            the surface, if you are not born gypsy you will never
            understand.
            I have done my best to read all references with an
            open mind and to seek knowledge from many different
            perspectives. When I met a family of gypsies in
            Slovakia last year, I was accepted because I wanted
            help in pronouncing a story in Rom. I got tons of help
            and they treated me like a queen thereafter. I showed
            nothing but gratitude and respect for what they were
            helping me with.Thats all they ask, respect for them,
            themselves.
            sorry, soapbox.
            Baroness Anastasia
            --- Alberta <jadedusoleil@...> wrote:
            > Do you think that the world in general needs the
            > perspective of nomadic groups like gypsies and
            > traveling Skomorokhi troupes...Or is the nomadic
            > lifestyle obsolete? Perhaps the more telling
            > question is this...Are nomadic groups a threat to
            > the more stationary groups?
            >
            > Gypsies have been described by some as lazy, dirty
            > and immoral...could it be that gypsies have
            > priorities and values so different from the norm
            > that gypsies and the population at large have little
            > common basis to communicate on?
            >
            > I look forward to your thoughts on the matter.
            >
            > ~Alberta

            > removed]

            http://mailplus.yahoo.com
          • Marilee Humason
            Message 5 of 5 , Jan 5, 2003
              --- >

              > She told us we were blessed by God to steal to
              > keep us alive, only.
              > Before Christ was nailed to the cross a Gypsy stole
              > one of the nails, that's
              > why there is only one for his feet. Hence we saved
              > him that much pain we
              > were blessed by God.

              I have found in my research!
              Really cool to have it confirmed by a "real" gypsy,
              not just one from a book.
              thanks,
              Baroness Anastasia>

              http://mailplus.yahoo.com