Re: [sig] Cyrillic question (OOP)

  • Patricia Hefner
    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 3, 2003
      Sorry it was so long for me to get back about this but work was insanity yesterday. The Cyrillic letters look like: first a K, then a "backward-looking" N (which Predslava told me represents an E "sound"), I, then B. Predslava e-mailed me some stuff but it confused me. :-) It's the Ukrainian spelling of the city's name. Even foreign languages with the Latin alphabet drive me nuts. Different alphabets? Forget it.........:-)

      Isabelle

      Well, what do the Cyrillic letters look like? (hard to know -- native or
      not -- when we can't see 'em). :)

      -- Paul

      At 06:13 PM 1/1/2003 -0600, you wrote:
      >My sister got me a lovely wooden souvenir from Kiev. It's a doll with a
      >picture of an old church in Kiev on it; it opens up to another doll
      >inside, with another church picture on it......there are five of them! It
      >has the name of the city written in the Cyrillic alphabet on it. I can't
      >quite make out the inscription. Any native speakers (or anyone else
      >knowing Eastern Slavic languages) care to educate me? Thanks in advance!
      >
      >Isabelle

      Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

    • Kseniia Smol'nyanina
      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 3, 2003
        That's "Kiev" - pronounced "Keev" in Ukrainian, I believe. :)

        --Kseniia

        > Sorry it was so long for me to get back about this but work was insanity
        yesterday. The Cyrillic letters look like: first a K, then a
        "backward-looking" N (which Predslava told me represents an E "sound"), I, then B.
        Predslava e-mailed me some stuff but it confused me. :-) It's the Ukrainian
        spelling of the city's name. Even foreign languages with the Latin alphabet drive
        me nuts. Different alphabets? Forget it.........:-)

        Isabelle

        Well, what do the Cyrillic letters look like? (hard to know -- native or
        not -- when we can't see 'em). :)

        -- Paul

        At 06:13 PM 1/1/2003 -0600, you wrote:
        >My sister got me a lovely wooden souvenir from Kiev. It's a doll with a
        >picture of an old church in Kiev on it; it opens up to another doll
        >inside, with another church picture on it......there are five of them! It

        >has the name of the city written in the Cyrillic alphabet on it. I can't
        >quite make out the inscription. Any native speakers (or anyone else
        >knowing Eastern Slavic languages) care to educate me? Thanks in advance!
        >
        >Isabelle

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        Lady Kseniia Smol'nyanina
        Shire of Dragon's Mist
        kseniia@...
        ********
        MKA: Christine Jacobs
        www.geocities.com/chrstnj
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      • Tat'ianna
        Message 3 of 9 , Jan 3, 2003
          That is how you spell it in Ukrainian.

          Tat'ianna
        • Tat'ianna
          Message 4 of 9 , Jan 3, 2003
            But I thought it was pronounced "Ke iv"

            Tat'ianna
          • MHoll@aol.com
            Message 5 of 9 , Jan 3, 2003
              In a message dated 1/3/2003 5:09:35 PM Central Standard Time,
              tatianna_codlin@... writes:

              > But I thought it was pronounced "Ke iv"

              It's Kiev in Russian [KEE-yehv], and Kiiv in Ukrainian [KEE-eev]. The way it
              actually sounds when a Russian says it or a Ukrainian isn't very different to
              a foreign ear.

              Predslava.

            • Tat'ianna
              Message 6 of 9 , Jan 3, 2003
                That is right, I just couldn't figure out how to spell it to pronounce it.

                Tat'ianna

                > In a message dated 1/3/2003 5:09:35 PM Central Standard Time,
                > tatianna_codlin@... writes:
                >
                > > But I thought it was pronounced "Ke iv"
                >
                > It's Kiev in Russian [KEE-yehv], and Kiiv in Ukrainian [KEE-eev]. The way
                it
                > actually sounds when a Russian says it or a Ukrainian isn't very different
                > a foreign ear.
                >
                > Predslava.

              • Alexey Kiyaikin
                Message 7 of 9 , Jan 4, 2003
                  Greetings!

                  > It's Kiev in Russian [KEE-yehv], and Kiiv in Ukrainian [KEE-eev]. The way it
                  > actually sounds when a Russian says it or a Ukrainian isn't very different to
                  > a foreign ear.

                  Or, to be precise, Ukrainian, unlike Russian, has TWO /i/ sounds and
                  two letters to mark them. The
                  "latin" letter marks the same sound as in Russian, that makes the
                  preceding consonant soft. The "russian-style" letter, on the contrary,
                  makes the sound that corresponds with the Russian sound /y/ (as in
                  the Russian words "mysh'"-mouse, "syr"-cheese, etc), that does NOT
                  make the preceding vowel soft. That makes the fact that the words with
                  the "russian-style letter" (usually with the same spelling) look the
                  same but sound differently. That difference has ever created lots of
                  funny stories.

                  bye,
                  Alex.