Re: [sig] Gypsies&Skomorokhi in Central/Eastern Europe

  • MHoll@aol.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 3, 2003
      In a message dated 1/3/2003 3:23:24 PM Central Standard Time,
      jadedusoleil@... writes:

      > Something I find of interest is the fact that both the Skomorokhi and the
      > Gypsies traveled about and worked as performers, and both groups were along
      > the lower end of the social strata, and as such, both were looked down upon
      > and condemned by the church and local governments for many similar reasons.

      I can't give any facts and figures here, but it's always the case: in a
      sedentary society, those living a nomadic lifestyle will be considered to be
      at the bottom of the ladder. Same goes for the Irish Travellers.

      An exception were the trouveres and troubadours -- but they were more like
      itinerant stars, and they brought news of the settled world -- they were part
      of mainstream society, they had their place and lived by the "normal" rules.

      > While I know it most likely cannot be proven one way or the other, I do
      > wonder if the Skomorokhi and the Gypsies ever interacted...or were they
      > mutually exclusive?

      The skomorokhi were performers. The Gypsies are a people. I don't think they
      were mutually exclusive, but they were different groups. If the skomorokhi
      were non-Gypsy, then in all likelihood the Gypsies wouldn't have allowed them
      into their society as a rule.

      I don't subscribe to the Andrei Rublev-the-movie theory that the skomorokhi
      were always persecuted, or that they represented some kind of
      proto-revolutionary, political-satyrist group. They were performers, and
      while there was probably some persecution at some point (remember the time
      frame we're dealing with: someone persecuting someone else was a fact of
      life), I tend to believe that they simply faded away/died out as their brand
      of performace stopped being so popular.

      Just my opinion.

      Predslava.