Re: [sig] Cyrillic question (OOP)

  • Paul W. Goldschmidt
    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 1, 2003
      Well, what do the Cyrillic letters look like? (hard to know -- native or
      not -- when we can't see 'em). :)

      -- Paul

      At 06:13 PM 1/1/2003 -0600, you wrote:
      >My sister got me a lovely wooden souvenir from Kiev. It's a doll with a
      >picture of an old church in Kiev on it; it opens up to another doll
      >inside, with another church picture on it......there are five of them! It
      >has the name of the city written in the Cyrillic alphabet on it. I can't
      >quite make out the inscription. Any native speakers (or anyone else
      >knowing Eastern Slavic languages) care to educate me? Thanks in advance!
      >
      >Isabelle
    • Patricia Hefner
      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 3, 2003
        Sorry it was so long for me to get back about this but work was insanity yesterday. The Cyrillic letters look like: first a K, then a "backward-looking" N (which Predslava told me represents an E "sound"), I, then B. Predslava e-mailed me some stuff but it confused me. :-) It's the Ukrainian spelling of the city's name. Even foreign languages with the Latin alphabet drive me nuts. Different alphabets? Forget it.........:-)

        Isabelle

        Well, what do the Cyrillic letters look like? (hard to know -- native or
        not -- when we can't see 'em). :)

        -- Paul

        At 06:13 PM 1/1/2003 -0600, you wrote:
        >My sister got me a lovely wooden souvenir from Kiev. It's a doll with a
        >picture of an old church in Kiev on it; it opens up to another doll
        >inside, with another church picture on it......there are five of them! It
        >has the name of the city written in the Cyrillic alphabet on it. I can't
        >quite make out the inscription. Any native speakers (or anyone else
        >knowing Eastern Slavic languages) care to educate me? Thanks in advance!
        >
        >Isabelle

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

      • Kseniia Smol'nyanina
        Message 3 of 9 , Jan 3, 2003
          That's "Kiev" - pronounced "Keev" in Ukrainian, I believe. :)

          --Kseniia

          > Sorry it was so long for me to get back about this but work was insanity
          yesterday. The Cyrillic letters look like: first a K, then a
          "backward-looking" N (which Predslava told me represents an E "sound"), I, then B.
          Predslava e-mailed me some stuff but it confused me. :-) It's the Ukrainian
          spelling of the city's name. Even foreign languages with the Latin alphabet drive
          me nuts. Different alphabets? Forget it.........:-)

          Isabelle

          Well, what do the Cyrillic letters look like? (hard to know -- native or
          not -- when we can't see 'em). :)

          -- Paul

          At 06:13 PM 1/1/2003 -0600, you wrote:
          >My sister got me a lovely wooden souvenir from Kiev. It's a doll with a
          >picture of an old church in Kiev on it; it opens up to another doll
          >inside, with another church picture on it......there are five of them! It

          >has the name of the city written in the Cyrillic alphabet on it. I can't
          >quite make out the inscription. Any native speakers (or anyone else
          >knowing Eastern Slavic languages) care to educate me? Thanks in advance!
          >
          >Isabelle

          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          Lady Kseniia Smol'nyanina
          Shire of Dragon's Mist
          kseniia@...
          ********
          MKA: Christine Jacobs
          www.geocities.com/chrstnj
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        • Tat'ianna
          Message 4 of 9 , Jan 3, 2003
            That is how you spell it in Ukrainian.

            Tat'ianna
          • Tat'ianna
            Message 5 of 9 , Jan 3, 2003
              But I thought it was pronounced "Ke iv"

              Tat'ianna
            • MHoll@aol.com
              Message 6 of 9 , Jan 3, 2003
                In a message dated 1/3/2003 5:09:35 PM Central Standard Time,
                tatianna_codlin@... writes:

                > But I thought it was pronounced "Ke iv"

                It's Kiev in Russian [KEE-yehv], and Kiiv in Ukrainian [KEE-eev]. The way it
                actually sounds when a Russian says it or a Ukrainian isn't very different to
                a foreign ear.

                Predslava.

              • Tat'ianna
                Message 7 of 9 , Jan 3, 2003
                  That is right, I just couldn't figure out how to spell it to pronounce it.

                  Tat'ianna

                  > In a message dated 1/3/2003 5:09:35 PM Central Standard Time,
                  > tatianna_codlin@... writes:
                  >
                  > > But I thought it was pronounced "Ke iv"
                  >
                  > It's Kiev in Russian [KEE-yehv], and Kiiv in Ukrainian [KEE-eev]. The way
                  it
                  > actually sounds when a Russian says it or a Ukrainian isn't very different
                  > a foreign ear.
                  >
                  > Predslava.

                • Alexey Kiyaikin
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jan 4, 2003
                    Greetings!

                    > It's Kiev in Russian [KEE-yehv], and Kiiv in Ukrainian [KEE-eev]. The way it
                    > actually sounds when a Russian says it or a Ukrainian isn't very different to
                    > a foreign ear.

                    Or, to be precise, Ukrainian, unlike Russian, has TWO /i/ sounds and
                    two letters to mark them. The
                    "latin" letter marks the same sound as in Russian, that makes the
                    preceding consonant soft. The "russian-style" letter, on the contrary,
                    makes the sound that corresponds with the Russian sound /y/ (as in
                    the Russian words "mysh'"-mouse, "syr"-cheese, etc), that does NOT
                    make the preceding vowel soft. That makes the fact that the words with
                    the "russian-style letter" (usually with the same spelling) look the
                    same but sound differently. That difference has ever created lots of
                    funny stories.

                    bye,
                    Alex.