Cyrillic question (OOP)

  • Patricia Hefner
    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 1, 2003
      My sister got me a lovely wooden souvenir from Kiev. It's a doll with a picture of an old church in Kiev on it; it opens up to another doll inside, with another church picture on it......there are five of them! It has the name of the city written in the Cyrillic alphabet on it. I can't quite make out the inscription. Any native speakers (or anyone else knowing Eastern Slavic languages) care to educate me? Thanks in advance!

      Isabelle

    • Paul W. Goldschmidt
      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 1, 2003
        Well, what do the Cyrillic letters look like? (hard to know -- native or
        not -- when we can't see 'em). :)

        -- Paul

        At 06:13 PM 1/1/2003 -0600, you wrote:
        >My sister got me a lovely wooden souvenir from Kiev. It's a doll with a
        >picture of an old church in Kiev on it; it opens up to another doll
        >inside, with another church picture on it......there are five of them! It
        >has the name of the city written in the Cyrillic alphabet on it. I can't
        >quite make out the inscription. Any native speakers (or anyone else
        >knowing Eastern Slavic languages) care to educate me? Thanks in advance!
        >
        >Isabelle
      • Patricia Hefner
        Message 3 of 9 , Jan 3, 2003
          Sorry it was so long for me to get back about this but work was insanity yesterday. The Cyrillic letters look like: first a K, then a "backward-looking" N (which Predslava told me represents an E "sound"), I, then B. Predslava e-mailed me some stuff but it confused me. :-) It's the Ukrainian spelling of the city's name. Even foreign languages with the Latin alphabet drive me nuts. Different alphabets? Forget it.........:-)

          Isabelle

          Well, what do the Cyrillic letters look like? (hard to know -- native or
          not -- when we can't see 'em). :)

          -- Paul

          At 06:13 PM 1/1/2003 -0600, you wrote:
          >My sister got me a lovely wooden souvenir from Kiev. It's a doll with a
          >picture of an old church in Kiev on it; it opens up to another doll
          >inside, with another church picture on it......there are five of them! It
          >has the name of the city written in the Cyrillic alphabet on it. I can't
          >quite make out the inscription. Any native speakers (or anyone else
          >knowing Eastern Slavic languages) care to educate me? Thanks in advance!
          >
          >Isabelle

          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        • Kseniia Smol'nyanina
          Message 4 of 9 , Jan 3, 2003
            That's "Kiev" - pronounced "Keev" in Ukrainian, I believe. :)

            --Kseniia

            > Sorry it was so long for me to get back about this but work was insanity
            yesterday. The Cyrillic letters look like: first a K, then a
            "backward-looking" N (which Predslava told me represents an E "sound"), I, then B.
            Predslava e-mailed me some stuff but it confused me. :-) It's the Ukrainian
            spelling of the city's name. Even foreign languages with the Latin alphabet drive
            me nuts. Different alphabets? Forget it.........:-)

            Isabelle

            Well, what do the Cyrillic letters look like? (hard to know -- native or
            not -- when we can't see 'em). :)

            -- Paul

            At 06:13 PM 1/1/2003 -0600, you wrote:
            >My sister got me a lovely wooden souvenir from Kiev. It's a doll with a
            >picture of an old church in Kiev on it; it opens up to another doll
            >inside, with another church picture on it......there are five of them! It

            >has the name of the city written in the Cyrillic alphabet on it. I can't
            >quite make out the inscription. Any native speakers (or anyone else
            >knowing Eastern Slavic languages) care to educate me? Thanks in advance!
            >
            >Isabelle

            Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            Lady Kseniia Smol'nyanina
            Shire of Dragon's Mist
            kseniia@...
            ********
            MKA: Christine Jacobs
            www.geocities.com/chrstnj
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          • Tat'ianna
            Message 5 of 9 , Jan 3, 2003
              That is how you spell it in Ukrainian.

              Tat'ianna
            • Tat'ianna
              Message 6 of 9 , Jan 3, 2003
                But I thought it was pronounced "Ke iv"

                Tat'ianna
              • MHoll@aol.com
                Message 7 of 9 , Jan 3, 2003
                  In a message dated 1/3/2003 5:09:35 PM Central Standard Time,
                  tatianna_codlin@... writes:

                  > But I thought it was pronounced "Ke iv"

                  It's Kiev in Russian [KEE-yehv], and Kiiv in Ukrainian [KEE-eev]. The way it
                  actually sounds when a Russian says it or a Ukrainian isn't very different to
                  a foreign ear.

                  Predslava.

                • Tat'ianna
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jan 3, 2003
                    That is right, I just couldn't figure out how to spell it to pronounce it.

                    Tat'ianna

                    > In a message dated 1/3/2003 5:09:35 PM Central Standard Time,
                    > tatianna_codlin@... writes:
                    >
                    > > But I thought it was pronounced "Ke iv"
                    >
                    > It's Kiev in Russian [KEE-yehv], and Kiiv in Ukrainian [KEE-eev]. The way
                    it
                    > actually sounds when a Russian says it or a Ukrainian isn't very different
                    > a foreign ear.
                    >
                    > Predslava.

                  • Alexey Kiyaikin
                    Message 9 of 9 , Jan 4, 2003
                      Greetings!

                      > It's Kiev in Russian [KEE-yehv], and Kiiv in Ukrainian [KEE-eev]. The way it
                      > actually sounds when a Russian says it or a Ukrainian isn't very different to
                      > a foreign ear.

                      Or, to be precise, Ukrainian, unlike Russian, has TWO /i/ sounds and
                      two letters to mark them. The
                      "latin" letter marks the same sound as in Russian, that makes the
                      preceding consonant soft. The "russian-style" letter, on the contrary,
                      makes the sound that corresponds with the Russian sound /y/ (as in
                      the Russian words "mysh'"-mouse, "syr"-cheese, etc), that does NOT
                      make the preceding vowel soft. That makes the fact that the words with
                      the "russian-style letter" (usually with the same spelling) look the
                      same but sound differently. That difference has ever created lots of
                      funny stories.

                      bye,
                      Alex.