Rorate Mass (16th century)

  • Alastair Millar
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 18, 2002
      The Schola Tynskeho chramu (Tyn Church School) has just released a CD (in a
      limited run of 2000 copies) of the 16th century Czech Rorate (a.k.a.
      Angelic or Golden) Mass. The production is based on three period manuscript
      codices - the primary source is a 1592-1604 illustrated Czech gradual from
      Hradec Kralove. The patrem and sanctus duets are taken from a 1585-6 Czech
      rorate book, and songs for some voices are drawn from the 1574-1595
      Benes'ov Cancional - some were written by Jan Trojan Turnovsky
      (c.1550-fl.1606). This is truly beautiful, and well worth a listen.

      The CD is entitled "RORATE: ceske adventni zpevy 16. stoleti". The
      distributor is Rosa Music in Prague < http://www/rosamusic.cz > (fax:
      +420.224.314.149, orders may also be sent to webmaster@...).

      I have no idea what the CD is retailing at, I'm afraid, my copies were
      payment for translating the sleeve notes!

      Cheers

      Alastair

      Alastair Millar, BSc(Hons) - alastair@...
      P.O.Box 11, CZ 413 01 Roudnice, Czech Republic