Re: [sig] Introducing myself and re bohemian womens names

  • Alastair Millar
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 10, 2002
      Annah writes...

      >First time posting here...
      Welcome! :-)

      There are indeed some people interested in Bohemia (as well as Moravia and
      Slovakia) on the list, so hopefully you'll find answers to some questions
      here as well as like-minded people to explore new things with! The Czech
      Knowledge Pages < http://scholar76.tripod.com/czech/ > are definitely the
      place to start, as these have (or have links to) a very wide range of
      useful info., and the material is all quite recent.

      With regard to names...

      Royal genealogies are usually fairly accurate, but there's always the
      danger for women's names that the name is actually a foreign one! (In fact,
      this came up recently here on the list, with the Bohemian Doubrava,
      daughter of Boleslav I 'the Cruel', married off to Poland... where no-one
      has yet found any other evidence for that name's use in period)

      The first page of the genealogy you gave <
      http://genealogy.euweb.cz/pan/bohemia.html > (the "King List", if you
      will), seems pretty accurate, albeit that since it's in ASCII you're not
      getting all the hooks and accents that make Czech such fun... It *does*,
      however, seem to use the accepted Czech names.

      The detailed genealogies, by contrast, are a total disaster area in terms
      of being useful for names (although the accompanying historical information
      seems accurate at first glance). Taking "The Premyslids" as an example, we
      have a unique transliteration system used for some names (e.g. "Borzivoj"),
      while others are Anglicized ("Judith"), some are pseudo-Westernised
      ("Spitignev"), others are left in Czech (Vaclav, Konrad) and the
      occasional German name is thrown in to boot ("Ulrich")!!. I really REALLY
      wouldn't want to rely on this as a source for names - it's just too
      pick-and-mix and has no internal consistency. Oh and incidentally it uses
      the German system of titles too, which is controversial to say the least...
      ;-)

      If there are specific individuals whose names you'd like to check (no pun
      intended!), please let me know and I'll try looking them up in my own
      library to find the accepted Czech forms. For what it's worth I am in the
      process of putting together a list of documented Czech names (male and
      female) from some of the sources that I have - but it may be quite some
      time before this is ready (not least because I'll be away from Dec. 19th to
      Jan. 5th.). In the meantime, feel free (of course!) to throw any questions
      about naming practices or anything else onto the list - there are people
      here with all kinds of interests!

      All the best

      Alastair

      Alastair Millar, BSc(Hons) - alastair@...
      P.O.Box 11, CZ 413 01 Roudnice, Czech Republic