Re: help on translation, please

  • janeravenswood
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 20, 2002
      thank you so much! From other kind responses off list, it seems that
      it is a consensus that at least one document is Czech. I'll go poke
      around to see if any Czech tranlation is available online. Never knew
      that I had some Czech ancestry until looking at these papers.

      Darka

      --- In sig@y..., Vaclav von Pressburg <vaclav@b...> wrote:
      > On Mon, Nov 18, 2002 at 10:58:09PM -0000, janeravenswood wrote:
      > . . .
      > > "Vy'tah-Kivonat z matriky narodeny'ch a pokrsteny'ch
      reforma'tskej
      > > cirkve" and it goes on. The other document starts "Ha'zassa'gi
      >
      > Czech: Abstract-(Kivonat?) from the Registry Office of the National
      > and Christian(?) Reformed Church.
      >
      > > Bizonyitv'any" and looks like it might be some type of marriage
      > > document. Oh yes, I put the accent marks after the letter
      involved.

      > And the second one does look Hungarian.
      >
      > --
      > Waclaw von Pressburg Veritas liberabit uos
      > vaclav@b...
    • Alastair Millar
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 20, 2002
        The first document is in Slovak (not Czech) - given the large ethnic
        Hungarian minority in what is now Slovakia (even today) this is quite
        understandable.

        The extract you provide properly reads "Extract from a Registry of Births
        and Baptisms of the Reformed Church". I believe that 'kivonat' is a formal
        name for the first (free) copy of a certificate, given to the parents on
        registering the birth/baptism. By the way, I assume that this document dates
        back to the Czechoslovak First Republic?

        I am a professional translator from Czech & Slovak into English, so if you
        are interested in a full translation of the first document please contact me
        off list with details of the length of the piece and we'll work something
        out (I can of course supply a complete client list and references on
        request).

        (Note to Vaclav - Slovak 'narodeny' translates 'born' and not 'national',
        which seems to have confused you here. Moreover, in both Czech and Slovak
        "matrika" can mean either the physical register itself or the registry
        office).

        Alastair
        ---------------------------
        Alastair Millar, BSc(Hons) - alastair@...
        P.O.Box 11, CZ 413 01 Roudnice, Czech Republic
      • lacorona@aol.com
        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 20, 2002
          dear lady Darka
          I am an American born of parents from Hungary. On Yahoo are several forums
          for Hungarian translators. Put in key word Hungarian.
          May you fare well in translating your arcane documents.
        • Alastair Millar
          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 21, 2002
            For some reason my original reply did not reach the list (although the
            offlist copy apparently arrived ok...), but since it might interest some
            people out there I'm trying again....

            A.

            [quote]

[...]

            [unquote]