Re: [sig] help on translation, please

  • Pavol Repcik
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 20, 2002
      Hello Darka,

      "Vy'tah-Kivonat z matriky narodeny'ch a pokrsteny'ch reforma'tskej cirkve"

      This sentence is in Slovak language - it's "Digest from church register
      (registry office) of the Evangelical Church" (very raw translation,
      sorry for poor english :o) ) But, the word Kivonat is in Hungarian and
      means digest (or excerpt...)

      "Ha'zassa'gi Bizonyitv'any"
      this is in Hungarian...
      Pavol

      janeravenswood wrote:
      > Hello all,
      >
      > I generally lurk on this list. However, I find that I need some
      > guidance in translation. I've finally gotten some documents of my
      > great-grandparents. I think they are in Hungarian but haven't had
      > much luck with using any online translation. So, I'm wondering if
      > they really are in Hungarian. On my great-grandfather's
      > naturalization papers, I can see that he was supposedly
      > Czechoslovakian and a Magyar, Ferencz Misak. If anyone would be so
      > kind, could you tell me if the following is Hungarian and if not,
      > what it might be:
      > "Vy'tah-Kivonat z matriky narodeny'ch a pokrsteny'ch reforma'tskej
      > cirkve" and it goes on. The other document starts "Ha'zassa'gi
      > Bizonyitv'any" and looks like it might be some type of marriage
      > document. Oh yes, I put the accent marks after the letter involved.
      >
      > Also, if you could direct me to any reputable translators...I'd be
      > willing to pay for a full translation.
      >
      > Thanks much!
      >
      > Darka

    • janeravenswood
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 20, 2002
        thank you so much! From other kind responses off list, it seems that
        it is a consensus that at least one document is Czech. I'll go poke
        around to see if any Czech tranlation is available online. Never knew
        that I had some Czech ancestry until looking at these papers.

        Darka

        --- In sig@y..., Vaclav von Pressburg <vaclav@b...> wrote:
        > On Mon, Nov 18, 2002 at 10:58:09PM -0000, janeravenswood wrote:
        > . . .
        > > "Vy'tah-Kivonat z matriky narodeny'ch a pokrsteny'ch
        reforma'tskej
        > > cirkve" and it goes on. The other document starts "Ha'zassa'gi
        >
        > Czech: Abstract-(Kivonat?) from the Registry Office of the National
        > and Christian(?) Reformed Church.
        >
        > > Bizonyitv'any" and looks like it might be some type of marriage
        > > document. Oh yes, I put the accent marks after the letter
        involved.

        > And the second one does look Hungarian.
        >
        > --
        > Waclaw von Pressburg Veritas liberabit uos
        > vaclav@b...
      • Alastair Millar
        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 20, 2002
          The first document is in Slovak (not Czech) - given the large ethnic
          Hungarian minority in what is now Slovakia (even today) this is quite
          understandable.

          The extract you provide properly reads "Extract from a Registry of Births
          and Baptisms of the Reformed Church". I believe that 'kivonat' is a formal
          name for the first (free) copy of a certificate, given to the parents on
          registering the birth/baptism. By the way, I assume that this document dates
          back to the Czechoslovak First Republic?

          I am a professional translator from Czech & Slovak into English, so if you
          are interested in a full translation of the first document please contact me
          off list with details of the length of the piece and we'll work something
          out (I can of course supply a complete client list and references on
          request).

          (Note to Vaclav - Slovak 'narodeny' translates 'born' and not 'national',
          which seems to have confused you here. Moreover, in both Czech and Slovak
          "matrika" can mean either the physical register itself or the registry
          office).

          Alastair
          ---------------------------
          Alastair Millar, BSc(Hons) - alastair@...
          P.O.Box 11, CZ 413 01 Roudnice, Czech Republic
        • lacorona@aol.com
          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 20, 2002
            dear lady Darka
            I am an American born of parents from Hungary. On Yahoo are several forums
            for Hungarian translators. Put in key word Hungarian.
            May you fare well in translating your arcane documents.
          • Alastair Millar
            Message 5 of 7 , Nov 21, 2002
              For some reason my original reply did not reach the list (although the
              offlist copy apparently arrived ok...), but since it might interest some
              people out there I'm trying again....

              A.

              [quote]

[...]

              [unquote]