help on translation, please

  • janeravenswood
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 18, 2002
      Hello all,

      I generally lurk on this list. However, I find that I need some
      guidance in translation. I've finally gotten some documents of my
      great-grandparents. I think they are in Hungarian but haven't had
      much luck with using any online translation. So, I'm wondering if
      they really are in Hungarian. On my great-grandfather's
      naturalization papers, I can see that he was supposedly
      Czechoslovakian and a Magyar, Ferencz Misak. If anyone would be so
      kind, could you tell me if the following is Hungarian and if not,
      what it might be:
      "Vy'tah-Kivonat z matriky narodeny'ch a pokrsteny'ch reforma'tskej
      cirkve" and it goes on. The other document starts "Ha'zassa'gi
      Bizonyitv'any" and looks like it might be some type of marriage
      document. Oh yes, I put the accent marks after the letter involved.

      Also, if you could direct me to any reputable translators...I'd be
      willing to pay for a full translation.

      Thanks much!

      Darka
    • Pavol Repcik
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 20, 2002
        Hello Darka,

        "Vy'tah-Kivonat z matriky narodeny'ch a pokrsteny'ch reforma'tskej cirkve"

        This sentence is in Slovak language - it's "Digest from church register
        (registry office) of the Evangelical Church" (very raw translation,
        sorry for poor english :o) ) But, the word Kivonat is in Hungarian and
        means digest (or excerpt...)

        "Ha'zassa'gi Bizonyitv'any"
        this is in Hungarian...
        Pavol

        janeravenswood wrote:
        > Hello all,
        >
        > I generally lurk on this list. However, I find that I need some
        > guidance in translation. I've finally gotten some documents of my
        > great-grandparents. I think they are in Hungarian but haven't had
        > much luck with using any online translation. So, I'm wondering if
        > they really are in Hungarian. On my great-grandfather's
        > naturalization papers, I can see that he was supposedly
        > Czechoslovakian and a Magyar, Ferencz Misak. If anyone would be so
        > kind, could you tell me if the following is Hungarian and if not,
        > what it might be:
        > "Vy'tah-Kivonat z matriky narodeny'ch a pokrsteny'ch reforma'tskej
        > cirkve" and it goes on. The other document starts "Ha'zassa'gi
        > Bizonyitv'any" and looks like it might be some type of marriage
        > document. Oh yes, I put the accent marks after the letter involved.
        >
        > Also, if you could direct me to any reputable translators...I'd be
        > willing to pay for a full translation.
        >
        > Thanks much!
        >
        > Darka

      • Vaclav von Pressburg
        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 20, 2002
          On Mon, Nov 18, 2002 at 10:58:09PM -0000, janeravenswood wrote:
          . . .
          > "Vy'tah-Kivonat z matriky narodeny'ch a pokrsteny'ch reforma'tskej
          > cirkve" and it goes on. The other document starts "Ha'zassa'gi

          Czech: Abstract-(Kivonat?) from the Registry Office of the National
          and Christian(?) Reformed Church.

          > Bizonyitv'any" and looks like it might be some type of marriage
          > document. Oh yes, I put the accent marks after the letter involved.

          And the second one does look Hungarian.

          --
          Waclaw von Pressburg Veritas liberabit uos
          vaclav@...
          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 20, 2002
            thank you so much! From other kind responses off list, it seems that
            it is a consensus that at least one document is Czech. I'll go poke
            around to see if any Czech tranlation is available online. Never knew
            that I had some Czech ancestry until looking at these papers.

            Darka

            --- In sig@y..., Vaclav von Pressburg <vaclav@b...> wrote:
            > On Mon, Nov 18, 2002 at 10:58:09PM -0000, janeravenswood wrote:
            > . . .
            > > "Vy'tah-Kivonat z matriky narodeny'ch a pokrsteny'ch
            reforma'tskej
            > > cirkve" and it goes on. The other document starts "Ha'zassa'gi
            >
            > Czech: Abstract-(Kivonat?) from the Registry Office of the National
            > and Christian(?) Reformed Church.
            >
            > > Bizonyitv'any" and looks like it might be some type of marriage
            > > document. Oh yes, I put the accent marks after the letter
            involved.

            > And the second one does look Hungarian.
            >
            > --
            > Waclaw von Pressburg Veritas liberabit uos
            > vaclav@b...
          • Alastair Millar
            Message 5 of 7 , Nov 20, 2002
              The first document is in Slovak (not Czech) - given the large ethnic
              Hungarian minority in what is now Slovakia (even today) this is quite
              understandable.

              The extract you provide properly reads "Extract from a Registry of Births
              and Baptisms of the Reformed Church". I believe that 'kivonat' is a formal
              name for the first (free) copy of a certificate, given to the parents on
              registering the birth/baptism. By the way, I assume that this document dates
              back to the Czechoslovak First Republic?

              I am a professional translator from Czech & Slovak into English, so if you
              are interested in a full translation of the first document please contact me
              off list with details of the length of the piece and we'll work something
              out (I can of course supply a complete client list and references on
              request).

              (Note to Vaclav - Slovak 'narodeny' translates 'born' and not 'national',
              which seems to have confused you here. Moreover, in both Czech and Slovak
              "matrika" can mean either the physical register itself or the registry
              office).

              Alastair
              ---------------------------
              Alastair Millar, BSc(Hons) - alastair@...
              P.O.Box 11, CZ 413 01 Roudnice, Czech Republic
            • lacorona@aol.com
              Message 6 of 7 , Nov 20, 2002
                dear lady Darka
                I am an American born of parents from Hungary. On Yahoo are several forums
                for Hungarian translators. Put in key word Hungarian.
                May you fare well in translating your arcane documents.
              • Alastair Millar
                Message 7 of 7 , Nov 21, 2002
                  For some reason my original reply did not reach the list (although the
                  offlist copy apparently arrived ok...), but since it might interest some
                  people out there I'm trying again....

                  A.

                  [quote]

[...]

                  [unquote]