Re: Rookie Mistake

  • lady_dobrova
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 12, 2002
      That is sound advice! In fact, I just found a little more of my own
      family history tonight that fits into that line of reasoning. After
      all, the borders of eastern Europe have changed so much and Poland
      was taking up a sizable chunk during my chosen time period. I will
      pursue this further.

      Thanks,

      Dobrova (for now)

      > Lady Good Kind:
      >
      > A suggestion, fight for your name. You may want to review the
      > following sites:
      >
      > Czechoslovak Genanological Society, Int'l:
      > www.cgsi.org/library/foregin2.html
      >
      > or review the SCA site for Russian names:
      > www.sca.org/herald/paul/d.htm.
    • lady_dobrova
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 12, 2002
        I have checked the site and I did not find as many Slavic names as I
        would have hoped. The surname is not as difficult as there are many
        historical records of men's full names from that time period.

        I am curious, however, if a 14th century Polish woman would take the
        surname of her husband or not. Any thoughts?

        Thanks,

        Dobrova

        > Try www.s-gabriel.org/names/walraven/polish. the listing is good,
        I trust implicitly one of the heralds who put it together, and the
        college loves the stuff the Gabriel Guild does. I agree that last
        names generally come under the category of locatives, descriptives,
        or "daughter of" type things, though by the 14th Century you're
        getting a bit of transition there.