Re: [sig] Digest Number 1035

  • Marilyn
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 6, 2002
      Regarding womens garb. We were not trying to ignore you, unfortunately there
      is really no good documentation on garb for that area in period. I have been
      trying to research Krakow and Kiev with little result as well. The most i
      have found is some portraits from the 1200's of royalty, hardly a good
      example of everyday wear. Mostly I had to work by extrapolation so far and
      have pretty much given up hope of anything i could document for A&S.
      Depending on the area styles were a mixture of viking and arabic/iranian or
      chinese. This covers a lot of ground! There is one book " Medieval Costume,
      Armour, and Weapons" by Wagner, Drobna, and Durdik which you may find
      useful. It's the best one i have found so far. Good luck..and please share
      any new sources you find! Marijah
    • eclipsek@telusplanet.net
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 6, 2002
        I too have been looking for Women's Costume in Kiev.

        There is also a book called The History of Ukrainian Costume (It's written in
        English) but it has been of limited value for documentation - seeming more
        general in it's descriptions. (I may be able to dig up the reference again) It
        seemed to have been written for a general audience, and there are times I
        wander about it's validity.

        I actually contacted a University Ukrainian History prof in our area and asked
        him about Medieval woman's costume in Th Ukraine (I asked for any books that
        showed pictures of a period source)....

        In his inital reply he thought it would be quite easy to find...
        A month later he got back to me - He had found ~4 good pictures - and wrote
        that he was very suprised there were so few. He surmised that due to the
        cultural attitude towards women at the time (If you research naming practices -
        you also find this) they weren't generally pictured (painted) - unless they
        were royalty - hence we have very little idea of what they wore.
        I have a copy of a Ukrainian Costume history book for theater - It's in
        Ukrainian, and I haven't had time to try to translate the picture captions....
        It looks like there might be some good information in it (and it was one of the
        books the Professor suggested I look at).
        I also have a number of picture I need to scan and post... My life has just
        been to nuts for the last 3 months.

        There was a point (I don't remember the years it covered) when one of the
        Tzarinas (I think I spelt that right) was from western europe (germany or italy
        or something) and Venetian fashion was the thing to wear... I have one picture
        that is from around that time period - It's of the Virgin Mary with a number of
        women attendants at birth of Jesus. The attendents are all in dresses that look
        Italian Ren (I'm not great with costumes - so I could be mistaken).

        That's all my costuming research for the last 2 years.
        -Kataryna (Who wishes she took pictures when she travelled there in high school)

      • LiudmilaV@aol.com
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 6, 2002
          In a message dated 11/6/2002 8:45:38 AM Pacific Standard Time,
          eclipsek@... writes:

          > I have a copy of a Ukrainian Costume history book for theater - It's in
          > Ukrainian, and I haven't had time to try to translate the picture
          > captions....

          If you manage to scan and post some these, I will translate for you.

          Liudmila

        • eclipsek
          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 6, 2002
            Thanks. :)
            I'll try to get some scanned & post when I do.
            -Kataryna