New joins

  • Alastair Millar
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 4, 2002
      Personally I think the approval of new members and moderating of their
      first posts is a sensible precaution, as is the hiding of the membership
      list from all but list owners. Given the underlying ethos of the SIG, I'm
      sure that this list will not suffer the same problems as some others, where
      after applying these spam-stopping measures list owners have gone on to
      expect a certain "standard" of new joiners.... *shudder*

      FWIW, sending potential new members a short questionnaire is done in some
      places - this serves the double purpose of (a) making sure the applicant is
      a person not a spam-sending robot, and (b) helping list owners get a better
      idea of the interests of the list members, even those who lurk!

      BTW Jeff, if the Nigerians can't get you the cash you need to take up all
      those stock tips, plastic surgery suggestions, mortage offers and
      once-in-a-lifetime investment opportunities, I have been contacted by some
      well-connected people in Mauritius, Ivory Coast and the Congo too... ;-P

      A.