spamming and membership change

  • Yana
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 2, 2002
      As you know, new members are automatically moderated when they join. Any
      posts have to be approved by me or Luidmila before they are sent on to the
      group. Most of the time, all I look for is that the post is vaguely Slavic
      related (at least at first) and that the post isn't obviously Spam. It
      really isn't a problem for me to quickly review a post and send it
      on. This brings me to a slight change for the SIG list.

      For about the past 2 months, we have been getting at _least_ one new
      subscriber a day with an address such as "twkhreqzjywv," followed by a post
      with a subject line such as "check this out!" and a URL, directing you to a
      site which has usually been removed from the server already, likely because
      it violated the server's rules about appropriate content.

      Since I automatically delete these messages, you never even see them, or
      are aware that they exist. This would normally be the end of the problem,
      but once a person (or whatever) has subscribed to a group, they can see
      people's email addresses in the posts they receive, and a quick scan of the
      membership list shows me that these spam addresses are receiving individual
      posts, not just joining, spamming, and then leaving the group.

      In order to try to preserve member's privacy there will be a change to a
      less "open" membership policy. From now on, all new members will have to
      be approved before they are allowed to join SIG. I will only take a look
      at their address and make sure that it isn't obviously a fake
      address. Interested people will still be able to view our message archive,
      but they will not be able to post until I get the chance to "check them out."

      If anyone has comments on this new policy, let me know and I will see if
      there is anything different that I can do to keep the spammers and trollers
      away. I will also be going through the membership list and unsubscribing
      the known spammers. If I accidentally delete real subscriber, just send me
      a note and I'll add you back on (mistakes happen). Hopefully this will
      alleviate the problem.

      --Yana