Re: Another Hungarian site ?

  • khalja
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 1, 2002
      Greetings,

      This is rather long, and I apologize. I tend to get carried away
      when researching conquest era hungarian stuff.

      My "Ancient Hungarians" book has this to say about sheaths:

      The scabbard was generally made of wood and fitted together from two
      parts. An iron or bronze chape was fitted to its lower end. On
      more ornate weapons, the chape was of silver or gold. Most chapes
      were oval. A unique, buitton-terminalled chape can be seen on the
      sabre kept in Vienna that had been a princely insignia of rank. The
      semicircular suspension loops were riveted to the scabbard by means
      of two metal bands or, more rarely, a fairly wide plaque. The upper
      suspension loop also acted as the mount of the scabbard entry the
      scabbard and the grip were both covered with fine leather.

      I've uploaded a photo of the Vienna sabre - aka Attila's or
      Charlemagne's sword. (Which it isn't actually. Very obviously a
      conquest era sword.)

      Description of sword and scabbard from "Ancient Hungarians"

      "The hilt curves towards the blade edge. The iron cross-bar is
      covered with a gold plaque decorated with an intricate design of
      tendrils and leaves around a four-petalled rosette in the centre.
      The grip was riveted to the iron tang. It was first covered with
      leather, on to which the gold ring and the pear-shaped pommel were
      fitted. These plaques are ornamented with an interlace pattern of
      looped tendrils and palmettes. The hilt was repaired in the Middle
      Ages. The cross-bar was fitted onto the dismantled grip upside-down
      and the damaged grip reinforced with three silver gild bands, two of
      which are set with stone inlays. [Note from Khalja - If you want I
      can scan a black and white photo of the repair job from another
      book - "Art of the Migration Era"]

      The 86.4 cm long wooden scabbard was first covered with black
      leather. It has two semicircular suspension loops, one at the
      scabbard entry, the other halfway down the scabbard. A knob
      terminalled chape was then attached to the scabbard. The part of
      the scabbard between the chape ring and the lower suspension loop
      was covered with a plain gold plaque whose edges were riveted to a
      silver plaque on the reverse. The front side of the suspension
      loops and both sides of the chape are decorated with a pattern of
      looped double scrolls and palmettes. The suspension loops are
      bordered with a spiralling tendril. The grip and the scabbard are
      decorated with a pattern of looped tendrils executed in repousse and
      set against a background of tiny punched circles."

      Another idea for scabbard decoration if you were interested in
      leather carving, is from a conquest era saddle. I've uploaded a
      drawing from "Art of the Migration Era" here:

      Sabretaches and belt ends can also be sources of design inspiration.

      I hope this is helpful. I have photos of several other sabres with
      keen metal bits, so let me know if you'd like to see them. Also
      lots of stuff on different sabretache plates and belt designs.

      Cheers,
      Baroness Khalja khorkhoi
    • drobnock2
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 1, 2002
        Thank you, did a quick visit this AM. Looks helpful.
        Janos

        --- In sig@y..., varju@a... wrote:
        > You might try _Art of the Conquest Era_ by Gyula Laszlo. .......or
        the Medieval Collection, the first seven links are for Conquest
        Era
        > Magyar items.
        >

        > Hope that helps!
        >
        > Noemi

      • drobnock2
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 4, 2002
          --- In sig@y..., "khalja" <khalja@y...> wrote:
          > Greetings,
          >
          > This is rather long, and I apologize. I tend to get carried away
          > when researching conquest era hungarian stuff.
          >
          > My "Ancient Hungarians" book has this to say about sheaths:
          >
          > lots of stuff on different sabretache plates and belt designs.
          >
          > Cheers,
          > Baroness Khalja khorkhoi

          Thank you.
          It is interesting to compare the designs. The basic construction of
          the wood sheath during the middle ages is similar. Maybe more on this
          later.
          Janos