Slavic History and Slavic origins.

  • cxlovek
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 1, 2002
      I found an interesting site dealing with Slavic history.
      http://www.panslavia.com/history/index.html

      What do you think about it?

      Cxlovek
    • alastairmillar
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 1, 2002
        --- In sig@y..., "cxlovek" <cxat@g...> wrote:
        > I found an interesting site ...
        > What do you think about it?

        Frankly, I think that this site -

        (a) is fundamentally flawed in perceiving Negroids as anything other
        than Homo sapiens sapiens, and in the divisions of Mankind that it
        adopts throughout. Moreover, I find the statement that "Whites
        speaking non-Slavic are somehow, more or less, deformed Slavs" quite
        astonishing. In point of fact, the webpage even looks positively on
        a "slavicist" conference held under the auspices of the Third Reich
        in Warsaw in 1943, completely ignoring the Reich's view of Slavs as
        sub-human, and not even expressing surprise that a "prof. John D.
        Price" was attending! Essentially, it is completely ignoring the VAST
        majority of mainstream research and publication on evolution and
        evolutionary theory since World War II in view of an extremely narrow
        variety of "white supremacism".

        (b) is highly selective in its sources, choosing only those which fit
        its author's preconceptions, and utterly ignoring all possible
        alternative hypotheses. Reasons why other hypotheses should be
        ignored (at least) need to be presented if the author wishes to be
        taken seriously. The works of C. Coon, as quoted in the
        bibliography, for example, are hardly the epitome of modern
        scholarship...

        (c) completely fails to understand what little primary historical
        source material it refers to (cf. the comments on the Chronicle of
        Cosmas which "totally deforms the history and truth").

        (d) assumes that words which happen to sound the same in Slavic and
        non-Slavic languages are related, without providing any detailed
        and/or thorough linguistic analyses to support this.

        My personal opinion is that some of the views put forward by this
        site are extreme enough to be considered neo-Nazi - and indeed it
        applies modern neo-Nazi imagery with the clenched fist illustration
        near the bottom of the page. In short: a site not worth the bytes
        it's written on...

        Alastair
      • Patricia Hefner
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 1, 2002
          This sort of site scares me. It's the kind of site I would not use as a link, to put it mildly. I abhor the use of any concept of "race" in history. Biology has rejected it; so should we.

          Isabelle

          > I found an interesting site ...
          > What do you think about it?

          Frankly, I think that this site -

          (a) is fundamentally flawed in perceiving Negroids as anything other
          than Homo sapiens sapiens, and in the divisions of Mankind that it
          adopts throughout. Moreover, I find the statement that "Whites
          speaking non-Slavic are somehow, more or less, deformed Slavs" quite
          astonishing.

          <snip>
          near the bottom of the page. In short: a site not worth the bytes
          it's written on...

          Alastair

        • Jeanne
          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 1, 2002
            WOW! I just read the site. It is VERY disturbing. Kinda reminds me of
            David Duke. Remember the gubernatorial race for Louisiana governor in 1992?
            Dan Ackroyd was on the Tonight Show begging the LA's NOT to vote to David
            Duke but for Edwin Edwards.

            Hitler with better PR.

            Soffya who is 1/2 Celt and loved the part of Celtic sacrifices!
          • Patricia Hefner