Re: VESTIS

  • Alastair Millar
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 31, 2002
      OK, I think I followed most of that. Someone goes to a newsagent wanting to
      buy a newspaper or magazine because they want to know "everything about
      everything". They are offered a variety of publications in Russian, Polish,
      German and English, and on various themes including current affairs
      (scandals!), sports and economics/business. Eventually a magazine on
      international affairs ("International Eye") is bought. Wow. Great. Now...
      how does this relate to the period covered by this list...?

      Ow and incidentally, which language was this written in? Obviously something
      Slavic, but despite being able to make it out I can't place it. ;-)

      And how come it was sent on the 28th but only hit the digest on the 31st?

      A.

      Alastair Millar
      Alastair Millar BSc (Hons) - alastair@...
      Translation & Consultancy for the Heritage Industry
      P.O. Box 11, CZ 413 01 Roudnice, Czech Republic
    • yana@merr.com
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 31, 2002
        I can answer most of the questions....

        I think it is in Russian, possibly in Ukrainian, because I could
        juuuuussssst make out what the message was (bad transliteration, either
        way). It was sent on the 28th, but I didn't let it through until yesterday
        because it took me that long to figure out the gist of the post! I decided
        that it was harmless enough, although pretty incomprehensible. Basically,
        I got lazy and decided to send it through without getting a good
        translation of the message. Mea culpa, mea culpa!

        --Yana Krasnaia (the red <faced>)

        http://mail2web.com/ .
      • LiudmilaV@aol.com
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 31, 2002
          In a message dated 10/31/2002 12:56:57 PM Pacific Standard Time,
          yana@... writes:

          > I think it is in Russian, possibly in Ukrainian

          Neither, sorry -- but it is readable, somewhat, with my knowledge of both. I
          also don't think it is either Polish or Bulgarian.

          Liudmila

        • Kate Rayburn
          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 31, 2002
            >From poking around the rest of the website, this appeared to be in
            Slovio, a planned language based upon the Slavic language family.

            Anezka

            yana@... writes:

            > I think it is in Russian, possibly in Ukrainian

            Neither, sorry -- but it is readable, somewhat, with my knowledge of
            both. I
            also don't think it is either Polish or Bulgarian.

            Liudmila

            Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

          • Alastair Millar
            Message 5 of 5 , Nov 1 7:29 AM
              Oooops...
              Sorry, no criticism intended, I hadn't remembered that things were being
              moderated! I'm edgy because a couple of lists hosted by other servers
              (SmartGroups, Freelists.org) have been sending me only irregular digests
              covering 3 or 4 days recently... very frustrating!

              >--Yana Krasnaia (the red <faced>)

              BTW, you know that krasny in Czech means "beautiful, lovely"?
              *creep*creep*.
              (This is the source of a good joke in the Oscar-winning Czech film "Kolja",
              where the little Russian boy refers to a Soviet flag as a "krasna vlajka"
              and his Czech guardian disagrees!!)

              Alastair