newbie

  • Paul Gieri
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 14, 1999
      Greetings Good Gentles,

      I hope you don't mind my breaking in on the discussion at hand. I'm new
      here. I was wondering if this would be the place to ask a question
      regarding possible names?

      Thank you,
      Lady Aifa Rowan
    • Diane S. Sawyer
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 14, 1999
        --- Paul Gieri <dragon@...> wrote:
        > From: Paul Gieri <dragon@...>
        >
        > Greetings Good Gentles,
        >
        > I hope you don't mind my breaking in on the
        > discussion at hand. I'm new
        > here. I was wondering if this would be the place to
        > ask a question
        > regarding possible names?
        >
        > Thank you,
        > Lady Aifa Rowan

        Absolutely, for Slavic names... if you're interested
        in other cultures, I can direct you elsewhere!

        Tasha
        ===
        Lady Nastasiia Ivanova Medvedeva
        Milestone Pursuivant
        Shire of Quintavia
        East Kingdom
      • Marija Kuncaitis
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 14, 1999
          "Diane S. Sawyer" wrote:

          > From: "Diane S. Sawyer" <tasha_medved@...>
          >
          > --- Paul Gieri <dragon@...> wrote:
          > > From: Paul Gieri <dragon@...>
          > >
          > > Greetings Good Gentles,
          > >
          > > I hope you don't mind my breaking in on the
          > > discussion at hand. I'm new
          > > here. I was wondering if this would be the place to
          > > ask a question
          > > regarding possible names?
          > >
          > > Thank you,
          > > Lady Aifa Rowan
          > >

          > Absolutely, for Slavic names... if you're interested
          > in other cultures, I can direct you elsewhere!

          Does this SIG deal with just generic Slavic culture, or does it
          distinguish between the various types of Slavs?

          Marija

          --
          Romuva:

          http://www.romuva.lt
          http://www.geocities.com/~Zemyna
          http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Oracle/2810
          http://www.wwa.com/~audrius/romuva
        • Jenn/Yana
          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 14, 1999
            >Does this SIG deal with just generic Slavic culture, or does it
            >distinguish between the various types of Slavs?
            >
            >Marija

            Both. It really depends on what kind of discussion you want to have. We
            have discussions on specific Slav groups and Magyars and any former members
            of the former Soviet Union, actually. Sometimes our talks tend tolump
            everything under the heading of "general Slavdom".

            Go ahead and start a topic and we'll see where it goes!

            Oh yeah, and while we are _a_ "SIG" (special interest group), we also call
            ourselves SIG (the Slavic Interest Group), in case there was any confusion.
            But there probably wasn't. Never mind. :)
            ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
            Ilyana Barsova (Yana) jdmiller2@...
            http://www.sit.wisc.edu/~jdmiller2
            Slavic Interest Group http://www.uwplatt.edu/~goldschp/slavic.html
          • Varju@xxx.xxx
            Message 5 of 6 , Jul 15, 1999
              In a message dated 7/14/1999 4:45:54 PM Mountain Daylight Time,
              lilith@... writes:

              << Does this SIG deal with just generic Slavic culture, or does it
              distinguish between the various types of Slavs? >>

              Well. . .its sort of a catchall for the cultures of Central and Eastern
              Europe. . .Slavic and all others. In general I think the consensus is that
              calling it the "Slavic Interest Group" was a lot less unweildy than giving
              it a name that encompasses all of the groups included. Everyone was even
              kind enough to include us Magyars.:->

              Noemi
            • Jenne Heise
              Message 6 of 6 , Jul 15, 1999
                On Wed, 14 Jul 1999, Marija Kuncaitis wrote:
                > > Absolutely, for Slavic names... if you're interested
                > > in other cultures, I can direct you elsewhere!
                >
                > Does this SIG deal with just generic Slavic culture, or does it
                > distinguish between the various types of Slavs?
                >
                > Marija

                As a rule, we deal mostly with specific groups: Czech, Pole, Bohemian,
                Rus, Ukrainian, etc. Our common thread is that most of the Eastern
                European groups we deal with are Slavic by ethnicity/language. Some
                diiscussion of the three major groups of Slavs known in early period has
                come up from time to time though.

                Jadwiga Zajaczkowa (Shire of Eisental), mka Jennifer Heise
                jenne@...
                "in verbis et in herbis, et in lapidibus sunt virtutes"
                (In words, and in plants, and in stones, there is power.)