OT Sightseeing in Chicago

  • pan_landolf
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 9, 2002
      I'm travelling to Chicago next week to attend a wedding. Can anyone
      suggest some places of interest to a SCAdian of the Polish persuasion?
      Landolf
    • Doug P
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 9, 2002
        I would highly recommend a trip to the Balzekas Museum of Lithuanian Culture
        located in the far South reaches of Chicago. Here are a couple URLs that
        relate.

        http://www.lithaz.org/museums/balzekas/
        http://www.rootsweb.com/~ilwinneb/lithuani.htm

        I know that it isn't Polish, but I'm sure that you know they've been
        neighbors (and unified once) for a long time. Otherwise, I don't know. there
        are plenty of online chicago "things to do" pages out there though.

        -Doug

        >From: "pan_landolf" <pan_landolf@...>
        >To: sig@yahoogroups.com
        >Subject: [sig] OT Sightseeing in Chicago
        >Date: Wed, 09 Oct 2002 20:53:51 -0000
        >
        >I'm travelling to Chicago next week to attend a wedding. Can anyone
        >suggest some places of interest to a SCAdian of the Polish persuasion?
        >Landolf

        ~Doug (Lord Gintaras the Taura, Midlands Regional Chatelain)~
        Midrealm Loyalty through Regional Unity

      • Anne M. McKinney
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 9, 2002
          > I'm travelling to Chicago next week to attend a wedding. Can anyone
          > suggest some places of interest to a SCAdian of the Polish persuasion?
          > Landolf

          Hopefully someone else who's spent more time up in Chicago can give you some
          better info, because I'm curious too.

          The one time I went searching for Russian stuff in Chicago I was directed to
          Divan St. This has a collection of grocery stores and other shops and
          restaurants. Different parts of the street have different ethnic villages,
          and I remember seeing areas for Slavic, Greek, Turkic, Indian, etc. etc. so
          Polish is probably mixed in there too. Divan St. should be up in the
          Northwest area of Chicago proper...I got there around dusk when I made the
          trip, and most of the shops had already closed--so I'd suggest going during
          the daytime.

          If you find any definite places to visit, I'd like to know so I can try to
          hunt them down myself. ^_^ Good luck!

          --Sofya
        • Yana
          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 10, 2002
            It is actually West Devon Avenue (pronounced dih-VAHN), located on the
            Northside of Chicago. Definitely a place to go. It is like a miniature
            European tour! You start at one end and travel through many different
            cultures. I can't remember the order, but there are Russian (with quite a
            few Georgian restaurants), Ukrainian, Polish, Traditional Jewish (lots o'
            kosher shops in the area, which tend to be closed on Saturday for some
            raeson...), Greek, Indian (be sure to stop and get some sweets), Pakistani,
            Middle Eastern, German, Swedish, and others I can't remember. It is really
            fun to explore. I once bought freshwater pearls for 50 cents a strand (!),
            and there are plenty of sari shops to play around in. As for Polish areas,
            you are going to be in Chicago, the Polish capital of the Midwest. I don't
            usually visit the heavy Polish neighborhoods because I am too busy playing
            on Devon, but there are many of them. I'm sure your friend will know which
            neighborhoods are close by to where you'll be. Have fun!

            The Chicago Historical Society's "Global Communities"
            <http://www.chicagohistory.org/immigration.html> Gives a good idea of
            various neighborhood areas

            --Yana, who is still upset with her Chicago friends for moving so far away
            from Devon
          • Lente
            Message 5 of 5 , Oct 14, 2002
              Well now I know where to send the husband next time he's there for training
              trips. --Kathws