Re: Maps, maps and more maps...

  • Alastair Millar
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 6, 2002
      Laura writes:

      >I hate to throw cold water, but what kind of map would mention
      >"Pechenegs", "Uzes" and "Magyars" and have not ONE mention of
      >Khazars!

      One which concentrates on Western/Central Europe, i.e. areas for which
      there is far more evidence for (even approximate) boundaries, obviously. I
      realise of course that there are people who find every omission or error an
      unforgiveable sin, but so it goes - I mean, defining Bohemia as a Duchy
      rather than a principality is hardly non-controversial either...

      Why not write to the author - the care with which the rest of the maps have
      been drawn shows that he's sure to be glad of your input.

      Incidentally, if you know of better maps on the Internet, do please share
      the information with the rest us - that's what the list is for, after
      all...

      Alastair
    • Shadow42
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 6, 2002
        Alastair Millar wrote:

        >Laura writes:
        >
        >>I hate to throw cold water, but what kind of map would mention
        >>"Pechenegs", "Uzes" and "Magyars" and have not ONE mention of
        >>Khazars!
        >>

        >One which concentrates on Western/Central Europe, i.e. areas for which
        >there is far more evidence for (even approximate) boundaries, obviously. I
        >realise of course that there are people who find every omission or error an
        >unforgiveable sin, but so it goes - I mean, defining Bohemia as a Duchy
        >rather than a principality is hardly non-controversial either...

        Political controversy seems to get in the way of truth sometimes.

        >Why not write to the author - the care with which the rest of the maps have
        >been drawn shows that he's sure to be glad of your input.
        >
        >Incidentally, if you know of better maps on the Internet, do please share
        >the information with the rest us - that's what the list is for, after
        >all...
        >
        >Alastair

        OK, here's some general map links which some folks might find interesting.
        http://www.fordham.edu/halsall/sbookmap.html

        And this "Medieval Sourcebook" page which has numerous maps.
        http://www.lib.utexas.edu/maps/historical/history_europe.html

        And according to this map of Europe in 900, Khazaria did indeed exist,
        in fact I think its size is rather exaggerated!
        http://www.fordham.edu/halsall/maps/900eur.jpg

        Laura