Re: [sig] Maps, maps and more maps...

  • Shadow42
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 5, 2002
      Alastair Millar wrote:

      >Here's a nice site for all you cartophiles out there...: the Periodical
      >Historical Atlas at http://www.euratlas.com/summary.htm presents political
      >maps of Europe and the Mediterranean for each centennial year (e.g. 300,
      >1200, 1900 etc.). The maps are fairly detailed and extremely attractive, and
      >do cover Central and Eastern Europe well. The thumbnail pages at
      >http://www.euratlas.com/time1.htm (for maps 1- 1000) and
      >http://www.euratlas.com/time2.htm (for maps 1100-2000) allow either compass
      >quarter maps (NE,NW,SE,SW) or a complete European map to be opened. Highly
      >recommended!

      I hate to throw cold water, but what kind of map would mention
      "Pechenegs", "Uzes" and "Magyars" and have not ONE mention of Khazars!

      Laura

    • Alastair Millar
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 6, 2002
        Laura writes:

        >I hate to throw cold water, but what kind of map would mention
        >"Pechenegs", "Uzes" and "Magyars" and have not ONE mention of
        >Khazars!

        One which concentrates on Western/Central Europe, i.e. areas for which
        there is far more evidence for (even approximate) boundaries, obviously. I
        realise of course that there are people who find every omission or error an
        unforgiveable sin, but so it goes - I mean, defining Bohemia as a Duchy
        rather than a principality is hardly non-controversial either...

        Why not write to the author - the care with which the rest of the maps have
        been drawn shows that he's sure to be glad of your input.

        Incidentally, if you know of better maps on the Internet, do please share
        the information with the rest us - that's what the list is for, after
        all...

        Alastair
      • Shadow42
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 6, 2002
          Alastair Millar wrote:

          >Laura writes:
          >
          >>I hate to throw cold water, but what kind of map would mention
          >>"Pechenegs", "Uzes" and "Magyars" and have not ONE mention of
          >>Khazars!
          >>

          >One which concentrates on Western/Central Europe, i.e. areas for which
          >there is far more evidence for (even approximate) boundaries, obviously. I
          >realise of course that there are people who find every omission or error an
          >unforgiveable sin, but so it goes - I mean, defining Bohemia as a Duchy
          >rather than a principality is hardly non-controversial either...

          Political controversy seems to get in the way of truth sometimes.

          >Why not write to the author - the care with which the rest of the maps have
          >been drawn shows that he's sure to be glad of your input.
          >
          >Incidentally, if you know of better maps on the Internet, do please share
          >the information with the rest us - that's what the list is for, after
          >all...
          >
          >Alastair

          OK, here's some general map links which some folks might find interesting.
          http://www.fordham.edu/halsall/sbookmap.html

          And this "Medieval Sourcebook" page which has numerous maps.
          http://www.lib.utexas.edu/maps/historical/history_europe.html

          And according to this map of Europe in 900, Khazaria did indeed exist,
          in fact I think its size is rather exaggerated!
          http://www.fordham.edu/halsall/maps/900eur.jpg

          Laura