Recipes was : OOP request

  • ATOC
    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 4, 2002
      Okie Dokie! Now I don't cook with measuring cups/spoons. I was taught by
      sight and taste. So bare with me! I'll approximate quantity.

      1) Hungarian Cabbage Rolls - My Grandma would make this and freeze this in
      milk cartons (yes, I AM that old!) and ANYONE and EVERYONE who came to her
      house left with a carton. Even the meter reader, remember those?

      several cabbage heads, with loose leaves. I usually use 3-4 med-size heads
      1 pound ground meat, I recommend a good cut
      1 pound ground pork, NOT SAUSAGE
      1 small onion, minced (yes, use the frappe on wizzer!)
      1 cup l rice, NOT INSTANT or CONVERTED
      black pepper, parsley - 1 tsp-ish
      1 #10 can sauerkraut
      1 16 oz (large) can STEWED tomatoes, PLAIN

      Boil cabbage heads in plain water. Have a large bowl filled with water and
      ice. It's to stop the cooking process. When leaves start to slough off
      head, remove from pot and drop in ice water. cut core our CAREFULLY. Drain
      in hand for a few shakes, put new head in pot, remove leaves from cooked
      head and put in drainer. When it becomes difficult to REMOVE leaves, STOP!
      Continue with heads until you have built up a nice pile.

      Wash your hands! Hand mix meat, rice and seasoning. You need to get your
      hands in there to make sure there is a good distribution. Wash hands. Use
      a cutting board and move drainer close to you. Get a large stock pot, 6+
      quarts, and oil bottom. I use extra virgin olive oil, this is to keep
      bottom layer from sticking.

      Lay cabbage leaf out with stem to you. Cut out most of the rind ridge. Put
      about a tsp to tbsp meat mixture in center. Depending on how full you want
      your leaf. This will take a couple of times. Pull cut bottom pieces
      together and tuck over then under meat mass. fold sides in and roll up.
      Place in bottom of pot. Keep adding rolls until bottom is covered. Pack
      kinda tight, but remember rice needs room to expand.

      Open cans of sauerkraut and stewed tomatoes. INSIDE of can, cut up
      tomatoes. Spread a layer of sauerkraut on top of rolls, then add some
      stewed tomatoes. Go back to cabbage leaves, make a second layer and
      continue in this layering fashion until you either run out of leaves OR
      you're 5 inches from top of pot.

      When pot is full, dump rest of tomatoes WITH JUICE onto rolls. Place a
      plate that just fits inside the pot on top of rolls. Place a weight, I use
      a piece of stainless steel, but an empty can filled with dry rice is fine.
      You need to weight them down. Fill pot with water until ONE INCH above
      rolls. Put on medium to medium low heat (depends on whether you have gas or
      electric) for about 20 minutes. COVER.

      Check one in about 20-25 minutes. Unroll it, the rice should have swelled.
      You do not need to add salt. There is MORE than enough in the sauerkraut.

      It sounds complicated, but it REALLY is easy to make. PLUS it freezes
      wonderfully! I make a pot during the winter and have lunch for months!

      2) Mushroom Strudel

      Okay, I am a certified Cajun & Creole chef, but I cannot bake to save my
      LIFE. So I cheat and use phyllo dough. Now Hungarians make a form of
      phyllo (can't think of the name for it) that is thinner. Great Grandma used
      to stand on a bench (she was only 3' 10") and roll it out for hours. Then
      she'd pull it across the back of her hand, like showing a bride the
      sheerness of a veil.

      Basic strudel dough OR 1 box of phyllo
      1 small onion, minced
      2 sticks of butter
      1 pound of mushrooms, coarsely chopped
      salt & pepper, I use sea salt
      3 eggs, separated
      4 tbsp PLAIN bread crumbs

      1) saut´┐Ż onion in 2 tbsp butter, covered for about 10 minutes. Add
      mushrooms, salt and pepper; to taste. Cook. covered, over VERY LOW heat
      until all the liquid has been cooked out and only the cooking fat remains.
      Stir often. Put mixture in bowl and put in fridge to cool.

      2) Preheat over to 375 ferinheight. When mixture is cool, add egg yolks and
      make sure they are mixed. Set aside. Whip egg whites until VERY STIFF.
      Fold then in the egg yolk mixture until completely mixed. Then fold in
      bread crumbs.

      3)For strudel dough- spread mixture on stretched dough, sprinkle with 4 tbsp
      melted butter. Roll strudel VERY loosely to leave space for eggs to swell
      during cooking. Place in buttered baking pan, cookie sheet size (17x11).
      Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, until crisp.

      3a) For phyllo dough-lay sheet out on cutting board and brush with melted
      butter. Continue this procedure until 5 sheets are buttered. Cover
      remaining sheets with cling film. Spread about 2 cups of mixture on SHORT
      side of sheet about the width of your palm from end. DO NOT GO TO END!
      Fold this flap over mixture. Carefully fold over once. Butter top, fold
      over, butter, continue until you've reached end of sheet. Butter top layer.

      4) I recommend doing this on wax paper so you can cut wax paper where
      strudel ends up and carefully lift and put on baking sheet. Bake in oven
      15-20 minutes., or until brown.

      5) Cut into 1 1/2-2 inch strips. It tastes better chilled, but it WILL not
      make it for left overs.

      Working with phyllo dough isn't very hard, it'll take you a couple of sheets
      but once you get the hang of it it's fun. I had a college kid help with my
      feast and she got SO into the phyllo, she did the last 5 by herself and was
      upset we were done. We made 20 of these for our event. NOTHING was left
      over! If you've ever been to an event and paid $2 for a mushroom pasty and
      felt jipped, this will change your mind. EVERY event I'm asked to make
      this, every demo, bake sale, EVERYTHING.

      Enjoy!

      Soffya

      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 5, 2002
        YUMMM!!!!!!!!!

        Thank You!!

        I can still remember Babchi's kapusta and haven't been able to find the
        reciepe.

        THANK YOU!!!!

        Katheryne