RE: [sig] Re: [Authentic_SCA] OOP request

  • yana@merr.com
    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 4 12:41 PM
      If they don't need to be SCA-period recipes, I would suggest:

      pierogi (not pirogi, or pirozhki) ;-)
      something with lots of poppy seeds
      kolaches/kolaczki (wonderful with poppyseed filling)
      bigos (hunter's stew)
      golabki (cabbage rolls)
      babka (easter cake)
      kapusta (cabbage salad w/grated apples, pork fat, caraway, vinegar dressing)
      cwikla (beet salad usually w/horseradish)
      kluski/kaluski (potato dumplings/noodles, can serve w/cabbage and Keilbasa)
      paczki (kinda like doughnuts)
      faworki (deep-fried cookies)
      potica (good complicated drool-y recipe at
      <http://recipes.alastra.com/polish/potica.html>)

      --Yana, very hungry now

      http://mail2web.com/ .
    • ATOC
      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 4 12:46 PM
        Okie Dokie! Now I don't cook with measuring cups/spoons. I was taught by
        sight and taste. So bare with me! I'll approximate quantity.

        1) Hungarian Cabbage Rolls - My Grandma would make this and freeze this in
        milk cartons (yes, I AM that old!) and ANYONE and EVERYONE who came to her
        house left with a carton. Even the meter reader, remember those?

        several cabbage heads, with loose leaves. I usually use 3-4 med-size heads
        1 pound ground meat, I recommend a good cut
        1 pound ground pork, NOT SAUSAGE
        1 small onion, minced (yes, use the frappe on wizzer!)
        1 cup l rice, NOT INSTANT or CONVERTED
        black pepper, parsley - 1 tsp-ish
        1 #10 can sauerkraut
        1 16 oz (large) can STEWED tomatoes, PLAIN

        Boil cabbage heads in plain water. Have a large bowl filled with water and
        ice. It's to stop the cooking process. When leaves start to slough off
        head, remove from pot and drop in ice water. cut core our CAREFULLY. Drain
        in hand for a few shakes, put new head in pot, remove leaves from cooked
        head and put in drainer. When it becomes difficult to REMOVE leaves, STOP!
        Continue with heads until you have built up a nice pile.

        Wash your hands! Hand mix meat, rice and seasoning. You need to get your
        hands in there to make sure there is a good distribution. Wash hands. Use
        a cutting board and move drainer close to you. Get a large stock pot, 6+
        quarts, and oil bottom. I use extra virgin olive oil, this is to keep
        bottom layer from sticking.

        Lay cabbage leaf out with stem to you. Cut out most of the rind ridge. Put
        about a tsp to tbsp meat mixture in center. Depending on how full you want
        your leaf. This will take a couple of times. Pull cut bottom pieces
        together and tuck over then under meat mass. fold sides in and roll up.
        Place in bottom of pot. Keep adding rolls until bottom is covered. Pack
        kinda tight, but remember rice needs room to expand.

        Open cans of sauerkraut and stewed tomatoes. INSIDE of can, cut up
        tomatoes. Spread a layer of sauerkraut on top of rolls, then add some
        stewed tomatoes. Go back to cabbage leaves, make a second layer and
        continue in this layering fashion until you either run out of leaves OR
        you're 5 inches from top of pot.

        When pot is full, dump rest of tomatoes WITH JUICE onto rolls. Place a
        plate that just fits inside the pot on top of rolls. Place a weight, I use
        a piece of stainless steel, but an empty can filled with dry rice is fine.
        You need to weight them down. Fill pot with water until ONE INCH above
        rolls. Put on medium to medium low heat (depends on whether you have gas or
        electric) for about 20 minutes. COVER.

        Check one in about 20-25 minutes. Unroll it, the rice should have swelled.
        You do not need to add salt. There is MORE than enough in the sauerkraut.

        It sounds complicated, but it REALLY is easy to make. PLUS it freezes
        wonderfully! I make a pot during the winter and have lunch for months!

        2) Mushroom Strudel

        Okay, I am a certified Cajun & Creole chef, but I cannot bake to save my
        LIFE. So I cheat and use phyllo dough. Now Hungarians make a form of
        phyllo (can't think of the name for it) that is thinner. Great Grandma used
        to stand on a bench (she was only 3' 10") and roll it out for hours. Then
        she'd pull it across the back of her hand, like showing a bride the
        sheerness of a veil.

        Basic strudel dough OR 1 box of phyllo
        1 small onion, minced
        2 sticks of butter
        1 pound of mushrooms, coarsely chopped
        salt & pepper, I use sea salt
        3 eggs, separated
        4 tbsp PLAIN bread crumbs

        1) saut´┐Ż onion in 2 tbsp butter, covered for about 10 minutes. Add
        mushrooms, salt and pepper; to taste. Cook. covered, over VERY LOW heat
        until all the liquid has been cooked out and only the cooking fat remains.
        Stir often. Put mixture in bowl and put in fridge to cool.

        2) Preheat over to 375 ferinheight. When mixture is cool, add egg yolks and
        make sure they are mixed. Set aside. Whip egg whites until VERY STIFF.
        Fold then in the egg yolk mixture until completely mixed. Then fold in
        bread crumbs.

        3)For strudel dough- spread mixture on stretched dough, sprinkle with 4 tbsp
        melted butter. Roll strudel VERY loosely to leave space for eggs to swell
        during cooking. Place in buttered baking pan, cookie sheet size (17x11).
        Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, until crisp.

        3a) For phyllo dough-lay sheet out on cutting board and brush with melted
        butter. Continue this procedure until 5 sheets are buttered. Cover
        remaining sheets with cling film. Spread about 2 cups of mixture on SHORT
        side of sheet about the width of your palm from end. DO NOT GO TO END!
        Fold this flap over mixture. Carefully fold over once. Butter top, fold
        over, butter, continue until you've reached end of sheet. Butter top layer.

        4) I recommend doing this on wax paper so you can cut wax paper where
        strudel ends up and carefully lift and put on baking sheet. Bake in oven
        15-20 minutes., or until brown.

        5) Cut into 1 1/2-2 inch strips. It tastes better chilled, but it WILL not
        make it for left overs.

        Working with phyllo dough isn't very hard, it'll take you a couple of sheets
        but once you get the hang of it it's fun. I had a college kid help with my
        feast and she got SO into the phyllo, she did the last 5 by herself and was
        upset we were done. We made 20 of these for our event. NOTHING was left
        over! If you've ever been to an event and paid $2 for a mushroom pasty and
        felt jipped, this will change your mind. EVERY event I'm asked to make
        this, every demo, bake sale, EVERYTHING.

        Enjoy!

        Soffya

        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 5 1:40 PM
          YUMMM!!!!!!!!!

          Thank You!!

          I can still remember Babchi's kapusta and haven't been able to find the
          reciepe.

          THANK YOU!!!!

          Katheryne