RE: [sig] OOP request

  • ATOC
    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 4, 2002
      Not polish, but a couple a quickie Hungarian dishes? Went over well for our
      feast.

      Let me know!

      Soffya
      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 4, 2002
        At 12:33 PM 10/4/2002 -0500, Jeff Heilveil wrote:
        >Okay, this is lame. I can't believe I'm doing this but...
        >

        >THIS IS NOT FOR AN SCA EVENT.
        >
        >Okay, that out of the way, HELP!!!! One of the professors hosts an
        >Octoberfest every year.

        omigosh, that's tomorrow, isn't it? I'd completely forgotten!
      • Jenne Heise
        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 4, 2002
          > Not polish, but a couple a quickie Hungarian dishes? Went over well for our
          > feast.
          > Let me know!

          I dunno if Jeff wants those recipes, but I do. *sigh* I don't have my copy
          of Dembinska with me.

          ". . .something lingering, with boiling oil in it, I fancy . . ."
        • yana@merr.com
          Message 4 of 9 , Oct 4, 2002
            If they don't need to be SCA-period recipes, I would suggest:

            pierogi (not pirogi, or pirozhki) ;-)
            something with lots of poppy seeds
            kolaches/kolaczki (wonderful with poppyseed filling)
            bigos (hunter's stew)
            golabki (cabbage rolls)
            babka (easter cake)
            kapusta (cabbage salad w/grated apples, pork fat, caraway, vinegar dressing)
            cwikla (beet salad usually w/horseradish)
            kluski/kaluski (potato dumplings/noodles, can serve w/cabbage and Keilbasa)
            paczki (kinda like doughnuts)
            faworki (deep-fried cookies)
            potica (good complicated drool-y recipe at
            <http://recipes.alastra.com/polish/potica.html>)

            --Yana, very hungry now

            http://mail2web.com/ .
          • ATOC
            Message 5 of 9 , Oct 4, 2002
              Okie Dokie! Now I don't cook with measuring cups/spoons. I was taught by
              sight and taste. So bare with me! I'll approximate quantity.

              1) Hungarian Cabbage Rolls - My Grandma would make this and freeze this in
              milk cartons (yes, I AM that old!) and ANYONE and EVERYONE who came to her
              house left with a carton. Even the meter reader, remember those?

              several cabbage heads, with loose leaves. I usually use 3-4 med-size heads
              1 pound ground meat, I recommend a good cut
              1 pound ground pork, NOT SAUSAGE
              1 small onion, minced (yes, use the frappe on wizzer!)
              1 cup l rice, NOT INSTANT or CONVERTED
              black pepper, parsley - 1 tsp-ish
              1 #10 can sauerkraut
              1 16 oz (large) can STEWED tomatoes, PLAIN

              Boil cabbage heads in plain water. Have a large bowl filled with water and
              ice. It's to stop the cooking process. When leaves start to slough off
              head, remove from pot and drop in ice water. cut core our CAREFULLY. Drain
              in hand for a few shakes, put new head in pot, remove leaves from cooked
              head and put in drainer. When it becomes difficult to REMOVE leaves, STOP!
              Continue with heads until you have built up a nice pile.

              Wash your hands! Hand mix meat, rice and seasoning. You need to get your
              hands in there to make sure there is a good distribution. Wash hands. Use
              a cutting board and move drainer close to you. Get a large stock pot, 6+
              quarts, and oil bottom. I use extra virgin olive oil, this is to keep
              bottom layer from sticking.

              Lay cabbage leaf out with stem to you. Cut out most of the rind ridge. Put
              about a tsp to tbsp meat mixture in center. Depending on how full you want
              your leaf. This will take a couple of times. Pull cut bottom pieces
              together and tuck over then under meat mass. fold sides in and roll up.
              Place in bottom of pot. Keep adding rolls until bottom is covered. Pack
              kinda tight, but remember rice needs room to expand.

              Open cans of sauerkraut and stewed tomatoes. INSIDE of can, cut up
              tomatoes. Spread a layer of sauerkraut on top of rolls, then add some
              stewed tomatoes. Go back to cabbage leaves, make a second layer and
              continue in this layering fashion until you either run out of leaves OR
              you're 5 inches from top of pot.

              When pot is full, dump rest of tomatoes WITH JUICE onto rolls. Place a
              plate that just fits inside the pot on top of rolls. Place a weight, I use
              a piece of stainless steel, but an empty can filled with dry rice is fine.
              You need to weight them down. Fill pot with water until ONE INCH above
              rolls. Put on medium to medium low heat (depends on whether you have gas or
              electric) for about 20 minutes. COVER.

              Check one in about 20-25 minutes. Unroll it, the rice should have swelled.
              You do not need to add salt. There is MORE than enough in the sauerkraut.

              It sounds complicated, but it REALLY is easy to make. PLUS it freezes
              wonderfully! I make a pot during the winter and have lunch for months!

              2) Mushroom Strudel

              Okay, I am a certified Cajun & Creole chef, but I cannot bake to save my
              LIFE. So I cheat and use phyllo dough. Now Hungarians make a form of
              phyllo (can't think of the name for it) that is thinner. Great Grandma used
              to stand on a bench (she was only 3' 10") and roll it out for hours. Then
              she'd pull it across the back of her hand, like showing a bride the
              sheerness of a veil.

              Basic strudel dough OR 1 box of phyllo
              1 small onion, minced
              2 sticks of butter
              1 pound of mushrooms, coarsely chopped
              salt & pepper, I use sea salt
              3 eggs, separated
              4 tbsp PLAIN bread crumbs

              1) saut´┐Ż onion in 2 tbsp butter, covered for about 10 minutes. Add
              mushrooms, salt and pepper; to taste. Cook. covered, over VERY LOW heat
              until all the liquid has been cooked out and only the cooking fat remains.
              Stir often. Put mixture in bowl and put in fridge to cool.

              2) Preheat over to 375 ferinheight. When mixture is cool, add egg yolks and
              make sure they are mixed. Set aside. Whip egg whites until VERY STIFF.
              Fold then in the egg yolk mixture until completely mixed. Then fold in
              bread crumbs.

              3)For strudel dough- spread mixture on stretched dough, sprinkle with 4 tbsp
              melted butter. Roll strudel VERY loosely to leave space for eggs to swell
              during cooking. Place in buttered baking pan, cookie sheet size (17x11).
              Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, until crisp.

              3a) For phyllo dough-lay sheet out on cutting board and brush with melted
              butter. Continue this procedure until 5 sheets are buttered. Cover
              remaining sheets with cling film. Spread about 2 cups of mixture on SHORT
              side of sheet about the width of your palm from end. DO NOT GO TO END!
              Fold this flap over mixture. Carefully fold over once. Butter top, fold
              over, butter, continue until you've reached end of sheet. Butter top layer.

              4) I recommend doing this on wax paper so you can cut wax paper where
              strudel ends up and carefully lift and put on baking sheet. Bake in oven
              15-20 minutes., or until brown.

              5) Cut into 1 1/2-2 inch strips. It tastes better chilled, but it WILL not
              make it for left overs.

              Working with phyllo dough isn't very hard, it'll take you a couple of sheets
              but once you get the hang of it it's fun. I had a college kid help with my
              feast and she got SO into the phyllo, she did the last 5 by herself and was
              upset we were done. We made 20 of these for our event. NOTHING was left
              over! If you've ever been to an event and paid $2 for a mushroom pasty and
              felt jipped, this will change your mind. EVERY event I'm asked to make
              this, every demo, bake sale, EVERYTHING.

              Enjoy!

              Soffya

              Message 6 of 9 , Oct 5, 2002
                YUMMM!!!!!!!!!

                Thank You!!

                I can still remember Babchi's kapusta and haven't been able to find the
                reciepe.

                THANK YOU!!!!

                Katheryne