Maps, maps and more maps...

  • Alastair Millar
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 3, 2002
      Here's a nice site for all you cartophiles out there...: the Periodical
      Historical Atlas at http://www.euratlas.com/summary.htm presents political
      maps of Europe and the Mediterranean for each centennial year (e.g. 300,
      1200, 1900 etc.). The maps are fairly detailed and extremely attractive, and
      do cover Central and Eastern Europe well. The thumbnail pages at
      http://www.euratlas.com/time1.htm (for maps 1- 1000) and
      http://www.euratlas.com/time2.htm (for maps 1100-2000) allow either compass
      quarter maps (NE,NW,SE,SW) or a complete European map to be opened. Highly
      recommended!

      For those with an interest in modern Ukrainian geography, you might also
      want to take a peek at the Ukrainian Map Server at
      http://209.82.14.226/ua-maps/ which aims "to provide reasonably detailed
      maps of Ukraine to aid users in their search for cities, towns, and villages
      that may not appear on conventional maps". "Reasonable" in this case means
      that the topographic maps provide contours at down to 20m intervals...!

      Cheers

      Alastair

      Alastair Millar
      Alastair Millar BSc (Hons) - alastair@...
      Translation & Consultancy for the Heritage Industry
      P.O. Box 11, CZ 413 01 Roudnice, Czech Republic
    • Shadow42
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 5, 2002
        Alastair Millar wrote:

        >Here's a nice site for all you cartophiles out there...: the Periodical
        >Historical Atlas at http://www.euratlas.com/summary.htm presents political
        >maps of Europe and the Mediterranean for each centennial year (e.g. 300,
        >1200, 1900 etc.). The maps are fairly detailed and extremely attractive, and
        >do cover Central and Eastern Europe well. The thumbnail pages at
        >http://www.euratlas.com/time1.htm (for maps 1- 1000) and
        >http://www.euratlas.com/time2.htm (for maps 1100-2000) allow either compass
        >quarter maps (NE,NW,SE,SW) or a complete European map to be opened. Highly
        >recommended!

        I hate to throw cold water, but what kind of map would mention
        "Pechenegs", "Uzes" and "Magyars" and have not ONE mention of Khazars!

        Laura

      • Alastair Millar
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 6, 2002
          Laura writes:

          >I hate to throw cold water, but what kind of map would mention
          >"Pechenegs", "Uzes" and "Magyars" and have not ONE mention of
          >Khazars!

          One which concentrates on Western/Central Europe, i.e. areas for which
          there is far more evidence for (even approximate) boundaries, obviously. I
          realise of course that there are people who find every omission or error an
          unforgiveable sin, but so it goes - I mean, defining Bohemia as a Duchy
          rather than a principality is hardly non-controversial either...

          Why not write to the author - the care with which the rest of the maps have
          been drawn shows that he's sure to be glad of your input.

          Incidentally, if you know of better maps on the Internet, do please share
          the information with the rest us - that's what the list is for, after
          all...

          Alastair
        • Shadow42
          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 6, 2002
            Alastair Millar wrote:

            >Laura writes:
            >
            >>I hate to throw cold water, but what kind of map would mention
            >>"Pechenegs", "Uzes" and "Magyars" and have not ONE mention of
            >>Khazars!
            >>

            >One which concentrates on Western/Central Europe, i.e. areas for which
            >there is far more evidence for (even approximate) boundaries, obviously. I
            >realise of course that there are people who find every omission or error an
            >unforgiveable sin, but so it goes - I mean, defining Bohemia as a Duchy
            >rather than a principality is hardly non-controversial either...

            Political controversy seems to get in the way of truth sometimes.

            >Why not write to the author - the care with which the rest of the maps have
            >been drawn shows that he's sure to be glad of your input.
            >
            >Incidentally, if you know of better maps on the Internet, do please share
            >the information with the rest us - that's what the list is for, after
            >all...
            >
            >Alastair

            OK, here's some general map links which some folks might find interesting.
            http://www.fordham.edu/halsall/sbookmap.html

            And this "Medieval Sourcebook" page which has numerous maps.
            http://www.lib.utexas.edu/maps/historical/history_europe.html

            And according to this map of Europe in 900, Khazaria did indeed exist,
            in fact I think its size is rather exaggerated!
            http://www.fordham.edu/halsall/maps/900eur.jpg

            Laura