Re: [sig] korobushka question

  • Alexey Kiyaikin
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 2, 2002
      Greetings Yana!

      > At the moment, there is a discussion on the Middle Kingdom list about
      > the dance/song "Korobushka" (aka Peddlar's Pack). We know that it
      > isn't a SCA-period dance (our own Despina addressed that particular
      > point already on the Middlebridge), but the question is whether the
      > song "Korobeiniki" is the more accurate/original name for
      It is. It was perhaps called so because it starts with "Oi, polnym-polna
      korobushka...".
      > the "Korobushka". I'm not certain why the poster thinks it may be
      > so. I repied that "korobeiniki" means "little korobushka" (please
      If a peddlar is the person I think he is, then "peddlar" is the
      literal meaning of the word Korobeinik. All in all, American
      traditional jokes about peddlers are translated using this word. So,
      it's the profession. In Korobushka -ushk- is diminutive-hypocoristic
      suffix to the word korob (box).
      > correct me if I'm wrong) and that it may simply be a name difference
      > due to region, generation, or whatever.
      >
      > So my main question (beyond the correct translation of "korobeiniki")
      > is if anyone has any information regarding the history of
      > the "korobeiniki" and if anyone has the words to the song (English or
      > Russian or whatever).
      About the history. The song is completely OOP, its author is Nickolai
      Nekrasov, a well-known Russian poet of mid-1800s. It's a piece from a
      larger work. If anyone needs, I'll simply type the text in Russian. As
      for the song, it was ever a song, not a dance. It is really in the
      list of songs frequently performed on stage - but usually by opera
      singers & like. Somebody simply made a dancing part for the
      performance.

      bye,
      Alex
    • Ilona Vadas
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 4, 2002
        Somebody has already made the point that not only is Korobushka out
        of period but that it isn't actually a dance either, it has merely
        had a dance associated with it due to a stage performance. So, the
        music isn't period, the dance isn't period... and I've seen this
        dance done to..... brace yourselves.... Mortal Kombat! Yes, AT an
        SCA event. There's a lady who is a dear friend who occassionally
        stages a "Fool's Ball" where she teaches the dance to the "correct"
        music and then everyone dances it to some totally off the wall modern
        song she's selected. Part of me is always totally appalled by this.
        Yet I must confess that "the Korobushka" DOES look pretty darn cool
        when done to Mortal Kombat! LOL
        Regards,
        Ilona Vadas