korobushka question

  • yanajenn
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 2, 2002
      At the moment, there is a discussion on the Middle Kingdom list about
      the dance/song "Korobushka" (aka Peddlar's Pack). We know that it
      isn't a SCA-period dance (our own Despina addressed that particular
      point already on the Middlebridge), but the question is whether the
      song "Korobeiniki" is the more accurate/original name for
      the "Korobushka". I'm not certain why the poster thinks it may be
      so. I repied that "korobeiniki" means "little korobushka" (please
      correct me if I'm wrong) and that it may simply be a name difference
      due to region, generation, or whatever.

      So my main question (beyond the correct translation of "korobeiniki")
      is if anyone has any information regarding the history of
      the "korobeiniki" and if anyone has the words to the song (English or
      Russian or whatever).

      --Yana

      Original post from the Middlebridge:
      -----------
      I found a CD here at the library that has the music for what we've
      been calling the "Korobushka", which they call the "Korobeiniki".
      It's called "Balalaika: Russia's Most Beautiful Tunes" in the Musical
      Heritage label (514746X). The performers are the Stars of Saint
      Petersburg, a Russian ensemble.

      The "Korobeiniki" is Band #5 on this album. It is apparently a
      Russian folk song with lyrics, according to some quick research on
      Google, but I can't find them in English.

      So apparently, we've called this dance the wrong thing all along.
      Perhaps we ought to start calling it by its correct name. And yes, it
      is way out of period, but oh, well, so are the majority of dances we
      do anymore.

      ~Saradwen
    • Alexey Kiyaikin
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 2, 2002
        Greetings Yana!

        > At the moment, there is a discussion on the Middle Kingdom list about
        > the dance/song "Korobushka" (aka Peddlar's Pack). We know that it
        > isn't a SCA-period dance (our own Despina addressed that particular
        > point already on the Middlebridge), but the question is whether the
        > song "Korobeiniki" is the more accurate/original name for
        It is. It was perhaps called so because it starts with "Oi, polnym-polna
        korobushka...".
        > the "Korobushka". I'm not certain why the poster thinks it may be
        > so. I repied that "korobeiniki" means "little korobushka" (please
        If a peddlar is the person I think he is, then "peddlar" is the
        literal meaning of the word Korobeinik. All in all, American
        traditional jokes about peddlers are translated using this word. So,
        it's the profession. In Korobushka -ushk- is diminutive-hypocoristic
        suffix to the word korob (box).
        > correct me if I'm wrong) and that it may simply be a name difference
        > due to region, generation, or whatever.
        >
        > So my main question (beyond the correct translation of "korobeiniki")
        > is if anyone has any information regarding the history of
        > the "korobeiniki" and if anyone has the words to the song (English or
        > Russian or whatever).
        About the history. The song is completely OOP, its author is Nickolai
        Nekrasov, a well-known Russian poet of mid-1800s. It's a piece from a
        larger work. If anyone needs, I'll simply type the text in Russian. As
        for the song, it was ever a song, not a dance. It is really in the
        list of songs frequently performed on stage - but usually by opera
        singers & like. Somebody simply made a dancing part for the
        performance.

        bye,
        Alex
      • Ilona Vadas
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 4, 2002
          Somebody has already made the point that not only is Korobushka out
          of period but that it isn't actually a dance either, it has merely
          had a dance associated with it due to a stage performance. So, the
          music isn't period, the dance isn't period... and I've seen this
          dance done to..... brace yourselves.... Mortal Kombat! Yes, AT an
          SCA event. There's a lady who is a dear friend who occassionally
          stages a "Fool's Ball" where she teaches the dance to the "correct"
          music and then everyone dances it to some totally off the wall modern
          song she's selected. Part of me is always totally appalled by this.
          Yet I must confess that "the Korobushka" DOES look pretty darn cool
          when done to Mortal Kombat! LOL
          Regards,
          Ilona Vadas