Great Moravia

  • Alastair Millar
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 7, 2002
      M'lady Yana writes...

      >I've added Great Moravia to the list of countries/nations/whatever

      Hurrah! :-)
      Thank you!

      > What is the difference between Moravia (already in the list) and
      > Great Moravia?

      Erm, Moravia wasn't in the list - although Moldova (sandwiched
      uncomfortably between Ukraine and Romania, these days), is...

      Moravia is the term applied to most of what is now the eastern half of the
      Czech Republic - bounded by Silesia to the north, Bohemia to the west,
      Slovakia to the east and Austria to the south. The Moravian dialect is
      generally regarded as the "purest" form of Czech, and the region tends to
      have a higher rate of religious observance than the rest of the country.
      Moravians certainly regard themselves as being distinct from (Bohemian)
      Czechs, although I don't think a case for a separate ethnic identity could
      be seriously made.

      Great Moravia was a political entity, rather than an ethnic one - and is
      the first known Slavic pseudo-state in Central Europe (not counting Sammo's
      short-lived "empire", about which we know damn all), having come into
      existence in the 800's AD. Svatopluk of Moravia annexed the petty tribal
      lands of the Bohemian Czechs in about 882, installing the Premylsid
      Bor'ivoj (probably great grandfather of Wenceslas and Boleslav the Cruel)
      as his regent - and reinstalling him by force when the locals got uppity a
      year later. It was to Great Moravia that SS Constantine/Cyril & Methodius
      went, and it was from Great Moravia that Christianity got its foothold in
      Bohemia (Bor'ivoj was christened before being installed, and built
      Bohemia's first stone church at the stronghold of Levy Hradec, north of
      Prague and its second at what would later become Prague Castle.

      At its greatest extent Great Moravia included all of Bohemia and Moravia, a
      slice of Silesia, Pannonia, the Tisza valley, and overlordship of the
      Lusatian Sorbs... The Czech Knowledge Pages include an excellent timeline
      of Great Moravian history (OK, so I'm biased!)

      HIH

      Alastair
    • Yana
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 7, 2002
        At 02:05 AM 9/7/2002, you wrote:
        >Erm, Moravia wasn't in the list - although Moldova (sandwiched
        >uncomfortably between Ukraine and Romania, these days), is...

        Ah, I see my mistake. Moravia _is_ on the list of countries in the
        _description_ of the group, but not in the _FAQ_ (note to self: read posts
        more closely). I am adding Great Moravia to the FAQ as we speak. And
        Alastair, can you send me the URL for the Czech page again? I seem to have
        misplaced my brain somewhere...

        --Yana
      • alastairmillar
        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 10, 2002
          Hi Yana!

          Sorry for the delay in replying, my ISP is "upgrading" it's smtp and
          pop3 servers at the moment, so I'm not receiving or able to send mail
          from my regular account (*grumble*). (This is from the yahoogroups
          website...)

          > Alastair, can you send me the URL for the Czech page again?

          Here it is:

          http://scholar76.tripod.com/czech/

          And very good it is too, m'Lady Isabelle should feel proud of herself!

          Cheers!

          Alastair