Re: [sig] Take a look

  • REM
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 1, 2002
      Jeanne wrote:

      > I've included all the links people have asked. Please take a look and
      > make
      > any changes necessary or to add. On the Merchants who do not have a
      > website
      > I have used your email addy.
      >
      > www.aeonline.biz

      Greetings:

      I'm unable to display your site using Netscape (version 4.79). The only
      thing that displays is the background. It works OK when I use Microsoft
      Internet Explorer. This is a not-uncommon problem for sites / pages built
      using Microsoft technology...

      Except for that glitch, interesting site! Thanks.

      Mstislav Novgorodskii,
      Artemisia
    • Parsla Liepa
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 2, 2002
        > I'm unable to display your site using Netscape (version 4.79). The only
        > thing that displays is the background. It works OK when I use Microsoft
        > Internet Explorer. This is a not-uncommon problem for sites / pages built
        > using Microsoft technology...

        I realize that this is going to come across sounding rude, which is not
        my intent. Please accept my apologies in advance.

        Upgrade your browser, for cripes sake.

        Netscape 4.0 came out in 1997. The last update to that version, 4.7, happened
        back in 1999. It's almost 2003. Would you expect your operating system to go
        that many years without ANY patches or updates? How about the security system
        on your firewall or web server? How well do you think your anti-virus software
        would work if it hadn't been updated since 1999? Or say you'd run your car
        without an oil change in that long, what do you think would happen?

        What makes you think that your web browser, which is likely the program you
        use the most, would be any different? Think about how the web has changed in
        three years, let alone the entire life of Netscape 4.

        The fact is, as much as it pains me to say it because Netscape did a lot
        of good things for the web: Netscape 4 was, is, and will always be a
        complete piece of crap. It didn't even tolerably render or support the
        existing web standards at the time it was released, and it sure doesn't
        now that they've changed. If Netscape wants to know why it lost the
        browser war, all it has to do is look at the software they spent almost
        five years trying to shove down our throats before finally getting around
        to putting out a fixed version. Note that there's no such thing as
        Netscape 5, because they skipped that version number altogether just to
        imply they were at the same place as IE -- even though Microsoft put out
        three different new versions (5, 5.5, and 6) of IE before they put out
        ever one, all of which were significant positive changes (Netscape 6 is
        great, but that's not really the point).

        So for cripes sake, please make sure your browser is reasonably current
        (It's not like you have to pay for the upgrade), and make everyone's life
        easier. Your web browsing experience will be far better for it -- because not
        only will you see things as they're supposed to be, you'll reduce the amount
        of work all the web folk have to do, which leaves them time to make a lot
        more cool stuff for you to look at.

        Just check a time or two a year. That's all. It's not really that much to
        ask.

        -Phew-. Sorry about that, folks.
        Parsla
      • Jenne Heise
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 2, 2002
          > > I'm unable to display your site using Netscape (version 4.79). The only
          > > thing that displays is the background. It works OK when I use Microsoft
          > > Internet Explorer. This is a not-uncommon problem for sites / pages built
          > > using Microsoft technology...
          >
          > I realize that this is going to come across sounding rude, which is not
          > my intent. Please accept my apologies in advance.
          >
          > Upgrade your browser, for cripes sake.

          Parsa, the problem is actually 100% in the code at your end: you open a
          table tag that you don't close. In fact, you don't even close the BODY
          tag.

          Before blaming the browser for not effectively running the code, ALWAYS
          check your code. Whenever someone says, "nothing but the background
          displays" check for unclosed table tags-- that's the most common source of
          the problem.

          "She believed that if a thing was worth doing, it was worth doing
          badly, at least until someone got fed up watching her do it badly
          and took it away and did it properly, thank you very much."
        • Parsla Liepa
          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 3, 2002
            > > > I'm unable to display your site using Netscape (version 4.79). The only
            > > > thing that displays is the background. It works OK when I use Microsoft
            > > > Internet Explorer. This is a not-uncommon problem for sites / pages built
            > > > using Microsoft technology...
            > >
            > > I realize that this is going to come across sounding rude, which is not
            > > my intent. Please accept my apologies in advance.
            > >
            > > Upgrade your browser, for cripes sake.
            >

            > Parsa, the problem is actually 100% in the code at your end: you open a
            > table tag that you don't close. In fact, you don't even close the BODY
            > tag.
            >
            > Before blaming the browser for not effectively running the code, ALWAYS
            > check your code. Whenever someone says, "nothing but the background
            > displays" check for unclosed table tags-- that's the most common source of
            > the problem.

            Actually, it's not my page that's under discussion here. I have no web
            page. The page under discussion was (I think?) www.aeoline.biz. It could
            be that the tags on the page in question were not closed, but I do still
            think that old borwsers are at fault, as well.

            My roommte is a webmaster for a fairly good-sized robotics firm, and most
            of the rant that I posted was taken from something that he's been
            complaining about a lot this past while; he's been getting lots of
            complaints from people using Netscape 4, and hardly feels it necessary to
            make his pages compliant for people using out-dated software, especially
            when they amount to less than 4% of traffic.

            <shrug>

            Parsla