Re[2]: [sig] Feasts (was: Passtimes in past times)

  • Alexey Kiyaikin aka Posadnik
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 28, 2002
      Greetings!

      > Weren't feasts also used as a punishment of sorts also? If as Tsar I
      > wouldn't want anyone to get too rich, I'd move in for a little while, with
      > my retainers, eat him out of house and home, and then move on. That also
      > allowed under the guise of hospitallity, a savings of the treasury. I know
      > it was done in the west, but am not sure of slavic implications Just a
      > thought. Srgius B

      I strongly hesitate it could be. The warlords times (cf. popular wild west
      features) required buying the loyalty of one's men by showing generosity. No
      generosity can be shown if the warleader shows generosity at someone's expense.
      Such cases are more typical for times when aristocracy never needed to prove
      its worth - e.g., in 18-century Russia. It really makes a story from the cycle
      about Alexander Suvorov who fed the horses in his army at the expense of the
      local posh jentry, arriving in a carriage moved by several dozens horses - each
      time different ones.

      bye,
      Alex