Re[2]: [sig] Passtimes in past times

  • Lisa Kies
    Message 1 of 15 , Aug 25, 2002
      I've seen illustrations of bone skates that showed the rib bones laced
      directly to the wearer's boots to glide on the _flat_ of the rib, not the
      edge.

      Sofya la Rus
    • Patricia Hefner
      Message 2 of 15 , Aug 25, 2002
        That's what the Dutch and other western Europeans did also. It was more practical; it was a good means of transportation and not necessarily a balance contest like it is today. Even when they played games with it--early forms of ice hockey, if you will--the gliding was done on the flats, not the edge. The edges didn't get to be hot stuff until the nineteenth century, and then they were mounted to the boot.

        Isabelle

        I've seen illustrations of bone skates that showed the rib bones laced
        directly to the wearer's boots to glide on the _flat_ of the rib, not the
        edge.

        Sofya la Rus

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor