Re: [sig] Floods in Czech Rep.

  • Marilee Humason
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 15, 2002
      I heard about all this last night on the news and I am
      just sick about it. I am so glad you are all right. I
      was in Bratislava this time last year, I hope all will
      be well with my Mother Land. My heart goes out to you,
      let us know if we can do anything for you, I realize
      we are many miles apart.
      sincerely,
      Baroness Anastasia
      --- Alastair Millar <alastair@...> wrote:
      > You may well have seen this on the news, but...
      >
      > Large areas of Bohemia and parts of Moravia have
      > been hit by the worst
      > flooding for centuries - the Vltava in Prague rose
      > to 7 metres (23 feet)
      > above its normal level, the Elbe at Usti (Aussig) is
      > already 10m (32ft)
      > above its normal level and is still rising. >
      Bratislava is also at considerable risk, as the
      > Danube is rising to 12m
      > above its normal limit - we may assume that Budapest
      > will also suffer.
      >
      > On a personal note, although I live only 500m from
      > the Elbe in Roudnice I
      > have the good fortune to be on top of a hill!!.
      > Supplies of staple foods,
      > candles etc. have been laid in!
      >
      > More anon
      >
      > Alastair
      >
      > ---------------------------
      > Alastair Millar, BSc(Hons)
      > Consultancy and translation for the heritage
      > industry

      http://autos.yahoo.com
    • Jeff Smith
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 15, 2002
        Alastair:

        --- Alastair Millar <alastair@...> wrote:
        > On a personal note, although I live only 500m from
        > the Elbe in Roudnice I
        > have the good fortune to be on top of a hill!!.
        > Supplies of staple foods,
        > candles etc. have been laid in!

        If you think of anything you need, let me know. The
        Danube is a few miles from my house here in Bavaria
        (my favorite Bratwurst restaurant in Regensburg is
        under water) -- I can throw it in and you can fish it
        out later!

        Seriously, glad to hear that you are OK. Please stay
        that way! I'm lucky enough to be upstream from the
        flooding in Germany, and away from any large rivers
        (creeks are OK in this area), *and* on high ground.

        Barcsi Janos

        =====
        JEFFREY C. SMITH
        Parsberg (Oberpfalz), Germany

        "I have sworn upon the altar of God eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man" - Thomas Jefferson
      • Patricia Hefner
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 15, 2002
          Alastair--Gosh, I'm glad you're OK! We were checking the news all day yesterday at the library. It kills me that so much precious stuff is being destroyed. Ouch!

          Isabelle