Gold Cord

  • Su Ralston
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 12 10:43 PM
      > From: LiudmilaV@...
      >
      > > There are two other methods you could try -
      > > 1. Thread a longer length (2-4") of the gold cord into a larger
      > > needle and run cord under the white support cording for at least
      > > 3/4", then trim the gold cord close to the other side of your
      > > embroidery
      > >
      > > 2. Again, thread a longer length (1-2") of the gold cord into a
      > > larger needle and "plunge" the cord end to the back side of the
      > > embroider. You will also need to move your couching thread to the
      > > back side and tack the end of the gold cord down. Because the end is
      > > now on the inside of the hat, there is less wear on the end and it
      > > will not fray on the right side.
      > >

      > The first methods sounds appealing, I will try it next time.
      Unfortunately,
      > the worst fraying usually occurs on free ends of cord that are not
      actually
      > surrounding embroidery on a foundation. So, the second method should be
      > good. However, have you actually tried that? I am concerned that the
      thick
      > cord will ruin the fabric or create a pucker if I pull it through to the
      > other side. I believe that this method was what they used in period
      though,
      > so maybe...

      The second method is what I normally use for finishing the ends on Metal
      Thread embroidery... you must get a needle that is big enough to thread the
      cord through. A blunt point sometimes is helpful because it will "push" the
      fabric threads out of the way. Because velvet doesn't have a very dense
      base fabric, using the blunt pointed needle works real well.

      If the cord you are using is made up of more than one smaller cord twisted
      together, you can untwist the ends and "plunge" them through to the other
      side individually.

      Su