Orthodox Icons

  • vespirus@xxxxxxxx.xxxxxxxx.xxx
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 10, 1999
      A small Russian Orthodox bookshop has opened up beneath my apartment
      complex. For those interested in obtaining Orthodox Icons, the store has a
      catalog and can order icons of various saints. I'm ordering one of Saints
      Cyrill and Methodius, who developed the Cyrillic alphabet for the Slavs.
      Small sized icons cost about $5 and even some of the larger ones (8"x12")
      are only $20, with some really fancy icons of the Virgin Mary with a metal
      front plate going up to over $140.

      If you're within communting distance of Berkeley, they also offer classes
      in painting Russian Orthodox icons, and on various other cool subjects.
      The back of the shop is a faux-cathedral hand painted with numerous lovely
      icons. The address is:

      "Resurrection Bookshop"
      1708 University Avenue
      Berkeley, CA 94703
      (510) 665-4112.

      The lady who runs the shop (Sofia?) is a very nice, very helpful person,
      but please don't tell her that I can't remember her name!

      --Walraven