Re: [sig] Re: Collar

  • Patricia Hefner
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 5, 2002
      I'm getting some the next time I have the steam to go to the store. It was 97 degrees today! Whew, it's tough to think about dalmatiks and such in this heat! :-) That collar looks gorgeous with that letnik, Liudmilla!

      Isabelle

      <snip>

      This isn't ignorance, this is inquisitiveness! Actually, I use a very cheap
      twisted gold cord I buy at Wal-Mart. Fabric stores have the same cord as
      well, but for a lot more than $0.24. This cord is very easy o work with --
      until you have to secure the ends, then it gets tricky. The way it is made
      approximates period technique, but the shine is quite synthetic, I am afraid.
      I can't afford a better made cord in that diameter...and I am not sure what
      diameter this is, I'll look it up later. But basically, you need cord thick
      enough to hide your foundation when doing pearl work.

      I started doing this using metallic gold thread, but then I leaned that
      period embroidery was done with colored silks of contrasting or matching
      color. Now, I use gold-tone rayon thread that matches the cord, also for
      financial reasons.

      I hope this is helpful,
      Liudmila