Re: Collar

  • Juliana Taper
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 5, 2002
      Lovely collar, Liudmila!

      When you speak of the gold cord, what diameter did you use? Is this the
      same thing I could purchase at a fabric store? What type of thread did you
      use to secure it -- metallic?

      Begging your pardon in advance for my obvious ignorance,

      Iul'iana
    • LiudmilaV@aol.com
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 5, 2002
        In a message dated 8/5/2002 7:30:24 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
        jtaper1@... writes:

        > When you speak of the gold cord, what diameter did you use? Is this the
        > same thing I could purchase at a fabric store? What type of thread did you
        > use to secure it -- metallic?
        >
        > Begging your pardon in advance for my obvious ignorance,
        >
        > Iul'iana

        This isn't ignorance, this is inquisitiveness! Actually, I use a very cheap
        twisted gold cord I buy at Wal-Mart. Fabric stores have the same cord as
        well, but for a lot more than $0.24. This cord is very easy o work with --
        until you have to secure the ends, then it gets tricky. The way it is made
        approximates period technique, but the shine is quite synthetic, I am afraid.
        I can't afford a better made cord in that diameter...and I am not sure what
        diameter this is, I'll look it up later. But basically, you need cord thick
        enough to hide your foundation when doing pearl work.

        I started doing this using metallic gold thread, but then I leaned that
        period embroidery was done with colored silks of contrasting or matching
        color. Now, I use gold-tone rayon thread that matches the cord, also for
        financial reasons.

        I hope this is helpful,
        Liudmila

      • Patricia Hefner