RE: [sig] collar questions

  • Jeanne
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 4 4:13 AM
      Use a softer interfacing or iron on pellon.

      Soffya
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 4 6:53 PM
        In a message dated 8/4/2002 5:54:57 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
        p.hefner@... writes:

        > I just had a look at your collar on the new file at the site. Wow! That's
        > gorgeous! What did you originally draw your pattern on? I didn't plan to
        > use velvet for my collar. I've made two, including the one I was talking
        > about that was basically a fiasco :-). I made both out of velvet; I was
        > planning to use a gold brocade for this, with a not-so-elaborate pearlwork
        > pattern. :-) Basically it's a pattern of crosses.
        >
        > Isabelle

        Actually, I think gold brocade is even more appropriate -- many period pieces
        were done on fancy fabrics, with embroidery either following or ignoring the
        pattern of the fabric. As for my pattern transfer, it is a process that goes
        like this:

        1. Make a pattern for the collar/hat/whatever on graph paper (I glue pages
        together for larger size).
        2. Draw the design onto it. I mostly use scans from a book of Russian
        Illuminations from Medieval Manuscripts (or something like that, don't have
        it handy now) and make symmetrical designs based on them.
        3. Using a window or a light table and a permanent marker, transfer the
        pattern onto fusible interfacing, leaving space for allowances.
        4. Fuse it to your fabric.
        5. Transfer the design to the front of the fabric using running stitches and
        white thread. Most likely you will not have to take it out, or at least not
        all of it.

        I would gladly welcome any method that would achieve the same results but be
        less time consuming!

        Liudmila,
        who really should be working on her dissertation proposal just about now...