Re[2]: [sig] Khurut - dried cheese for camping usage

  • Alexey Kiyaikin aka Posadnik
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 4, 2002
      Greetings Sofya!

      If the green color is not mold, then it may be overdone (it gets darker while
      dries). My pack of dried farmer cheese not used in early July is still in the
      fridge, it is brown and wood-hard.

      You can do the stuff without any fridge. In this case the only important thing
      to be provided is sour taste. Farmer/cottage cheese is often plain, without
      sour taste at all. Frankly speaking, the fridge was discovered to be the safest
      way to get it sour if it's under-fermented. But it's not necessary. So, you can
      simply cut the stuff into pieces and dry it in the sun (such is the recipe
      Pokhlebkin mentions).

      IMHO the final condition of the stuff is when it's dry but can still be easily
      broken by your fingers.

      bye,
      Alex
    • Anne M. McKinney
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 8, 2002
        Alex,
        Thanks for the advice on this. My khurut was very dark green and powdery.
        I'm afraid I just didn't have the guts to eat it. Maybe if I saw how it
        should turn out, or if someone else ate mine first and didn't die, I would
        try it. Unfortunately at this point I"m still too chicken. I'm sorry
        because it probably is a very tasty cheese.

        Thanks anyway,
        --Sofya