RE: [sig] collar questions

  • Jeanne
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 4, 2002
      Use a softer interfacing or iron on pellon.

      Soffya
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 4, 2002
        In a message dated 8/3/2002 8:30:01 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
        p.hefner@... writes:

        > When you make the ozherelki, the collar, should you put some sort of
        > interfacing--or just another piece of fabric--between the top circle and
        > the one you line it with? I tried making one recently with a piece of
        > interfacing and it was too darn stiff.

        Hi! Since I usually put pearl embroidery on such things, I use thin woven
        fusible interfacing, transfer my pattern onto it, and fuse to the top circle
        (velvet). This seems to work fine for me. Note that I don't make this wider
        than the shoulders of a person wearing it.

        Liudmila

      • Patricia Hefner
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 4, 2002
          I just had a look at your collar on the new file at the site. Wow! That's gorgeous! What did you originally draw your pattern on? I didn't plan to use velvet for my collar. I've made two, including the one I was talking about that was basically a fiasco :-). I made both out of velvet; I was planning to use a gold brocade for this, with a not-so-elaborate pearlwork pattern. :-) Basically it's a pattern of crosses.

          Isabelle

          > When you make the ozherelki, the collar, should you put some sort of
          > interfacing--or just another piece of fabric--between the top circle and
          > the one you line it with? I tried making one recently with a piece of
          > interfacing and it was too darn stiff.

          Hi! Since I usually put pearl embroidery on such things, I use thin woven
          fusible interfacing, transfer my pattern onto it, and fuse to the top circle
          (velvet). This seems to work fine for me. Note that I don't make this wider
          than the shoulders of a person wearing it.

          Liudmila

          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        • LiudmilaV@aol.com
          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 4, 2002
            In a message dated 8/4/2002 5:54:57 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
            p.hefner@... writes:

            > I just had a look at your collar on the new file at the site. Wow! That's
            > gorgeous! What did you originally draw your pattern on? I didn't plan to
            > use velvet for my collar. I've made two, including the one I was talking
            > about that was basically a fiasco :-). I made both out of velvet; I was
            > planning to use a gold brocade for this, with a not-so-elaborate pearlwork
            > pattern. :-) Basically it's a pattern of crosses.
            >
            > Isabelle

            Actually, I think gold brocade is even more appropriate -- many period pieces
            were done on fancy fabrics, with embroidery either following or ignoring the
            pattern of the fabric. As for my pattern transfer, it is a process that goes
            like this:

            1. Make a pattern for the collar/hat/whatever on graph paper (I glue pages
            together for larger size).
            2. Draw the design onto it. I mostly use scans from a book of Russian
            Illuminations from Medieval Manuscripts (or something like that, don't have
            it handy now) and make symmetrical designs based on them.
            3. Using a window or a light table and a permanent marker, transfer the
            pattern onto fusible interfacing, leaving space for allowances.
            4. Fuse it to your fabric.
            5. Transfer the design to the front of the fabric using running stitches and
            white thread. Most likely you will not have to take it out, or at least not
            all of it.

            I would gladly welcome any method that would achieve the same results but be
            less time consuming!

            Liudmila,
            who really should be working on her dissertation proposal just about now...