Re[2]: [sig] Khurut - dried cheese for camping usage

  • Alexey Kiyaikin aka Posadnik
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 4, 2002
      Greetings Sofya!

      If the green color is not mold, then it may be overdone (it gets darker while
      dries). My pack of dried farmer cheese not used in early July is still in the
      fridge, it is brown and wood-hard.

      You can do the stuff without any fridge. In this case the only important thing
      to be provided is sour taste. Farmer/cottage cheese is often plain, without
      sour taste at all. Frankly speaking, the fridge was discovered to be the safest
      way to get it sour if it's under-fermented. But it's not necessary. So, you can
      simply cut the stuff into pieces and dry it in the sun (such is the recipe
      Pokhlebkin mentions).

      IMHO the final condition of the stuff is when it's dry but can still be easily
      broken by your fingers.

      bye,
      Alex
    • Anne M. McKinney
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 4, 2002
        Hello there!
        I'm hoping not everyone is at Pennsic yet. I decided to try out Alex's
        recipe and left it sitting in my fridge. I used lowfat store-bought cottage
        cheese, squeezed out the excess water with some cheesecloth, and wrapped it
        up in drawing paper. I think it's been in my fridge for about a month now,
        and it is very green. If it's safe to eat I'd like to take it to Pennsic,
        but first I thought I'd better check and make sure that's how it's supposed
        to turn out.

        So, does it sound like I made it right? Can I take it without refrigeration
        or a cooler?

        --Sofya Chyudskaya
        still have some doubts...please excuse my lack of faith

        > So, you take ANY sort of cottage cheese, escept semi-liquid sorts, wrap it
        into
        > paper and put it into the fridge (OLD fridge is better, without any
        defrost
        > option). In about 10-12 days the stuff is ready. It has fermented a little
        more
        > and got a more sour taste. It also became dry, and you can store it
        anywhere
        > without fearing mold. So, that's Khurut, a popular Mongol soup base
        (sometimes
        > the soup consisted just of Khurut added to boiling water). In the city I
        often
        > use it to improve the taste of the noodle soup from the package, or add
        this to
        > a plate of vegetable soup, that can replace a handsome spoonful of sour
        cream.
        > In the forest, as we say in Russia, it can improve any plain taste of the
        dish,
        > being added to the pot or the plate. It milds down hot tastes as well. It
        may
        > serve as a "walker's dish", if you have no time to sit down and eat
        properly.
        > Meself enjoys it, as well as my gastritis.
        >
        > bye,
        > Alex.
      • Anne M. McKinney
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 8, 2002
          Alex,
          Thanks for the advice on this. My khurut was very dark green and powdery.
          I'm afraid I just didn't have the guts to eat it. Maybe if I saw how it
          should turn out, or if someone else ate mine first and didn't die, I would
          try it. Unfortunately at this point I"m still too chicken. I'm sorry
          because it probably is a very tasty cheese.

          Thanks anyway,
          --Sofya