collar questions

  • Patricia Hefner
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 3, 2002
      I know a bunch of people have gone to Pennsic, but I just thought I'd ask about the ozherelki--do I have that spelling right? I think I'm going to use the Chinese brocade for a dalmatik. Heck, I might as well use it for "princess' garb"--it's too ornate for nomadic styles. When you make the ozherelki, the collar, should you put some sort of interfacing--or just another piece of fabric--between the top circle and the one you line it with? I tried making one recently with a piece of interfacing and it was too darn stiff. It looked like a flying saucer! :-) I didn't like this! Any ideas, advice, etc, etc.......?

      Isabelle

    • Diane Sawyer
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 4, 2002
        --- Patricia Hefner <p.hefner@...> wrote:
        {snip}
        > I tried making one
        > recently with a piece of interfacing and it was too
        > darn stiff.
        {snip}

        Use lighter interfacing. It comes in a variety of
        weights. You might also want to try non-fusible
        interfacing, if what you used was fusible.

        Tasha
        off to Pennsic

        http://health.yahoo.com
      • Jeanne
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 4, 2002
          Use a softer interfacing or iron on pellon.

          Soffya

          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 4, 2002
            In a message dated 8/3/2002 8:30:01 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
            p.hefner@... writes:

            > When you make the ozherelki, the collar, should you put some sort of
            > interfacing--or just another piece of fabric--between the top circle and
            > the one you line it with? I tried making one recently with a piece of
            > interfacing and it was too darn stiff.

            Hi! Since I usually put pearl embroidery on such things, I use thin woven
            fusible interfacing, transfer my pattern onto it, and fuse to the top circle
            (velvet). This seems to work fine for me. Note that I don't make this wider
            than the shoulders of a person wearing it.

            Liudmila

          • Patricia Hefner
            Message 5 of 6 , Aug 4, 2002
              I just had a look at your collar on the new file at the site. Wow! That's gorgeous! What did you originally draw your pattern on? I didn't plan to use velvet for my collar. I've made two, including the one I was talking about that was basically a fiasco :-). I made both out of velvet; I was planning to use a gold brocade for this, with a not-so-elaborate pearlwork pattern. :-) Basically it's a pattern of crosses.

              Isabelle

              > When you make the ozherelki, the collar, should you put some sort of
              > interfacing--or just another piece of fabric--between the top circle and
              > the one you line it with? I tried making one recently with a piece of
              > interfacing and it was too darn stiff.

              Hi! Since I usually put pearl embroidery on such things, I use thin woven
              fusible interfacing, transfer my pattern onto it, and fuse to the top circle
              (velvet). This seems to work fine for me. Note that I don't make this wider
              than the shoulders of a person wearing it.

              Liudmila

              Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

            • LiudmilaV@aol.com
              Message 6 of 6 , Aug 4, 2002
                In a message dated 8/4/2002 5:54:57 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
                p.hefner@... writes:

                > I just had a look at your collar on the new file at the site. Wow! That's
                > gorgeous! What did you originally draw your pattern on? I didn't plan to
                > use velvet for my collar. I've made two, including the one I was talking
                > about that was basically a fiasco :-). I made both out of velvet; I was
                > planning to use a gold brocade for this, with a not-so-elaborate pearlwork
                > pattern. :-) Basically it's a pattern of crosses.
                >
                > Isabelle

                Actually, I think gold brocade is even more appropriate -- many period pieces
                were done on fancy fabrics, with embroidery either following or ignoring the
                pattern of the fabric. As for my pattern transfer, it is a process that goes
                like this:

                1. Make a pattern for the collar/hat/whatever on graph paper (I glue pages
                together for larger size).
                2. Draw the design onto it. I mostly use scans from a book of Russian
                Illuminations from Medieval Manuscripts (or something like that, don't have
                it handy now) and make symmetrical designs based on them.
                3. Using a window or a light table and a permanent marker, transfer the
                pattern onto fusible interfacing, leaving space for allowances.
                4. Fuse it to your fabric.
                5. Transfer the design to the front of the fabric using running stitches and
                white thread. Most likely you will not have to take it out, or at least not
                all of it.

                I would gladly welcome any method that would achieve the same results but be
                less time consuming!

                Liudmila,
                who really should be working on her dissertation proposal just about now...